PDA

View Full Version : Do i need more CO2 in my newly planted Discus tank?

Phoenix1
09-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Hi Guys,

I was looking into setting up the DIY co2 kit and had a look to see if I'd need more than one for my tank as its 375L and I've just planted 75 new plants but the various forum posts suggest that 20 to 30 is ideal for plant growth and based on the charts with my tank having a PH6.4 and KH of 3 then the CO2 level should be at about 36 so now I'm wondering do I need to add any at all? My tank is well established and previously only had fake plants, it has 2 discus (several more coming asap), 3 angels a pleco and a couple of mollies. What do you think? Also what would be your recommendations for the best fertiliser and plant food? I was told a product called Seachem Flourish was good but what else would I need?

Thanks

ronrca
09-12-2005, 11:31 AM
Hi and welcome to Simplydiscus btw.

You will probably get more responses by posting in the show tanks and biotopes section. I would suggest giving your tank some time to adjust to the new plants. It takes awhile for the plants to 'recover' and start using the nutrients it requires. In my experience, it takes quite a fish load to provide plants the adequate C02 levels and may just take some time for your plants to 'catch up' to using the available C02. I think you will see a drop in C02 levels as time goes on therefore it is a good idea to monitor the levels for the time being and add C02 when the levels drop.