PDA

View Full Version : Guppies with discus

traco
09-12-2005, 12:41 PM
I have just put my BN plecos back into my 90 gallon after treating for hex. I have noticed that I have also put about 10 baby guppies into the tank. Should I fish them out or will they get eaten by the discus? I don't want to keep them in with the discus, right? Or is that okay? :confused:

DarkDiscus
09-12-2005, 02:16 PM
The discus may eat the baby guppies, certainly. If not, I'm curious to see how the guppies do in the warm discus water. Probably they would breed like crazy, 'cause that's what they do...

The fact that they are already in there... They aren't going to hurt anything, I believe.

John

wolfbane
09-12-2005, 08:59 PM
I had an overpopulation problem with the guppies in my 10 gal, thought the discus might like some fry, but they just looked at each other. The guppy fry loved the beefheart mix, and ate the bits that the discus considered too small. kept the tank clean! Took em out when I switched tanks.

mattb
09-13-2005, 08:50 AM
Got guppies in mine and they are fine, I think larger discus may eat a few fry but if you have lots of places to hide they should be ok.

Matt

ppv1951
10-07-2005, 01:55 AM
guppies should be fine unless they're eaten

nacra99
10-07-2005, 05:14 AM
I feed my discus baby guppies when they go off their feed. They might get eaten....

JMArtist
10-07-2005, 07:49 AM
I haven't put guppies in my tank, but I did put some Neons in once...they were all eaten in about 2 days :(
It was an expensive meal for the Discus.
I only did it after seeing a really nice 75 Gallon set-up with Discus and Neons, it looked really hot...you know, that Big fish -small fish thing looks great...but my Discus were all murders...

DarkDiscus
10-07-2005, 08:56 AM
Discus + Cardinals = good

Discus + Neons = bad

Cardinals appreciate similar water parameters to discus, neons - well, not so much.

I've heard of discus eating small specimens of both, however.

John

JMArtist
10-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Discus + Cardinals = good

Discus + Neons = bad

Cardinals appreciate similar water parameters to discus, neons - well, not so much.

I've heard of discus eating small specimens of both, however.

John

Well, it does come down to this:
If it fits in their mouths, it's dinner!

scans
01-17-2006, 04:41 PM
I like the guppy idea... Gotta try it one day

pcsb23
01-17-2006, 05:11 PM
Well, it does come down to this:
If it fits in their mouths, it's dinner!
And thats the truth!!!

Seriously though ime if you have to raise the temp of the tank much above the 86f mark the guppies will suffer, just my experience with them. Black mollies on the other hand do real well if you slowly adjust them to the temps (over a few days). They eat algae as well!

Paul.

traco
01-17-2006, 08:15 PM
Just an update, the guppies have survived high temps and Quick Cure. They have had babies which mysteriously disappear?;) So 3 females and 1 male guppy in my discus tank and no problems other than I never get any new babies that can grow up.

AmazonRainbows
01-18-2006, 12:37 AM
I have 4 generation of guppy leaving with my discus. No probleme at all. Guppy look OK for the water temp between 29-31 C. I found that guppy fry stay on top of water but platy fry stay on bottom. Bottom one are eat first.. may be it is because they have the same color as the flake food I use to feed them...

architect1
01-24-2006, 12:42 AM
wow Guppies with discus I hve to try that. But I have had a case where I put new cardnals with my discus and the big guy tryied to eat them as soon as they swam out of the back.