PDA

View Full Version : Glass lid hinges

kaceyo
09-13-2005, 06:25 PM
Does anyone know of a place that sells the hinges for glass aquarium lids seperately? Or know of something that can be used as a hinge? I know some people make a silicone hinge but I've never tried it and would rather just replace the old one if I can.
Thanx,

Kacey

RandalB
09-13-2005, 07:10 PM
Contact your local pet shop. They should be able to get them for you....

RandalB

wolfbane
09-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Try here, http://www.thatpetplace.com/MainPro/shopay00.aspx

CAGE-RATTLER
01-20-2006, 05:54 AM
http://www.jmkdisplays.homestead.com/hinge.html

CAGE-RATTLER
01-20-2006, 06:27 AM
I have some glass from some glass shelving units and im gonna try to cut them and put hinges on them for some tops. Hopefully they arent tempered but i guess i'll find out soon .... lol.

My question is .... i dont want any sharp edges ... so is it possible to sand glass to bevel the edges?

Jarrod
01-20-2006, 07:50 AM
I have some glass from some glass shelving units and im gonna try to cut them and put hinges on them for some tops. Hopefully they arent tempered but i guess i'll find out soon .... lol.

My question is .... i dont want any sharp edges ... so is it possible to sand glass to bevel the edges?

Cage...you can sand the edges of the glass with emery cloth...I'd suggest wrapping it around a wooden dowel or around a block of wood to protects your hands and fingers
hth
Jarrod

Tony_S
01-20-2006, 07:54 AM

If you just want to knock the sharp edges off you can use some wet/dry silicon carbide sandpaper and a sanding block. You can also use a diamond grit sharpening stone (for knifes). If you want to "bevel" or "round" the edge...you'll have to go with something like a belt sander with a silicon carbide belt.

Tony

pcsb23
01-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Cage, silicone carbide finishing paste, gloves, goggles ans patience! (use it on a finishing pad on a ginder or power drill attachment)
Good luck,
Paul.

discusdave
01-20-2006, 10:01 AM

You can use just regular old sandpaper to take the edge off cut glass. I've done it many times myself. Any medium to fine grade has worked great for me.

CAGE-RATTLER
01-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Thanx .... i guess my belt sander i got for redoing my deck this past year will get some more work out of it.

hexed
01-20-2006, 03:48 PM
My aquarium sells just the hinges. I do not know how much they are but if you give me the size you need and what color I can get you a price.
Frank

chago09
01-20-2006, 11:03 PM
would plexi glass work just as good as glass??

Tony_S
01-22-2006, 08:15 AM
would plexi glass work just as good as glass??

IME...No. Thicker plexi 1/4"+ MIGHT work...but anything less than 1/4" warps badly when one side is exposed to more himidity than the other.

Tony

Dave C
01-22-2006, 11:58 AM
That's true Tony, but I still used plexiglass as lids. Every week or so I'd just remove the lid and flip it over and it would start warping the other way. I liked it because I use no hinges, my tanks are all locally made and odd sizes and I have no fear that the loose lid will break if I smack it into the tank or stand. I also use egg crate as lids on other tanks where my concern is fish jumping rather then trapping humidity. It doesn't warp at all if supported on all sides without huge open runs of space.

Willie
01-22-2006, 03:27 PM
Glass is not much better than plexiglass. You might get away with 1/8" glass for a 20" or 24" lid. I made 36" lids with 1/8" glass and it droops in the middle. If I could do it again, it would be 1/4" glass.

Willie

Tony_S
01-22-2006, 07:08 PM
That's true Tony, but I still used plexiglass as lids. Every week or so I'd just remove the lid and flip it over and it would start warping the other way.

Buuuuut....Im an ANAL RETENTIVE PERFECTIONIST....I couldnt possibly have warped lids on one of my tanks!:D

What would the nieghbors think!!?? ;)

Tony:D

RandalB
01-22-2006, 09:24 PM
3/16" Glass is the size that most Aquarium Manufacturer's use for their lids.. It's readily available in the glass shops around here and most of them polish the edges for free...

I've heard that cast Acrylic doesn't warp like the extruded stuff from the big box home improvement stores. I haven't had the chance to test it out, but I am in the process of learning to fabricate acrylic tanks from a local guy and I'll check.

RandalB

Cosmo
02-02-2006, 10:46 PM
I made tank lids for my 20hi breeder tanks out of 1/4in plexiglass... seemed to do okay for about a week, after which it started warping :( Someone at the time mentioned a grade of plexi that won't warp, but what I got from Home Depot did.. too bad, was really a cool setup.. till it warped :(
Jim

CAGE-RATTLER
02-02-2006, 11:09 PM
If im not mistaken ..... the stuff at HD & lowes is plexiglass which will also yellow as well as warp.

Acrylic would be better IMO ............ 2nd to Glass that is.

tcfish
02-03-2006, 12:53 AM
It does not matter what kind of acrylic you use they will warp but if you use the plexi-glass brand the letters you want to use is MC, why because it is softer and you can then use a one part solvent like weld-on 4, in order to use acrylic tops you have to cut 3/4 to 1 inch strips and run them about an inch in around the top ,stand them on end and squirt your solvent along the edge of the strip, and bingo a nice sturdy top that will not warp