PDA

View Full Version : Water Storage Tanks?

steelheaderdu
09-14-2005, 01:38 PM
Afternoon everyone,

Just wondering where you get your water storage tanks. I'm looking for a couple about 150 gallons, anyone know where I can find one fairly cheaply? What do they generally cost? Thanks.

Greg Richardson
09-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Here is a link.
http://www.norwesco.com/Index.cfm?Section=LST

But you might try going to http://www.craigslist.com/about/cities.html
Do search for one on a daily basis.
Lot of time you can get them cheaper there.

Or if you have any feed stores near you check them out.

Also do a search at this site for idea's on where to get them.

troyclark
09-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Rubbermaid makes stock tanks out of plastic in 100, 150, and 300 gallon sizes. I have used two 100 gallon ones for over a year and they worked great. Rubbermaid even makes a float valve for these tanks and are a must to unsupervised fill ups. The lumber yard I work at can get these for 119.99 retail. I recently added a 300 gallon vertical tank from Norwesco I found at an implement dealer around my area. It cost me about $250. HTH

steelheaderdu
09-15-2005, 03:48 PM
Thanks guy, I'll be looking into these... Appreciate the info.

ppv1951
09-25-2005, 12:28 PM
if you don't need 500 gal., find a soft drink bottler in your area. the syrup for the drinks comes in 55 gal. drums APPROVED FOR FOOD USE, which you can use for your fish without worrying about mildew-cides in the plastic. you can pick these up cheap.

if you need more storage try:

www.tank-depot.com

pat.

AADiscus
09-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Try a water supply company that sells water meters, tubs, water/sewer pipe, etc. I have found they normally run in our area about $1.00 per gallon. The down fall if you don't buy it locally you have have to pay for shipping. Then your cost will go up alot. Make sure depending on the size of your tub that it will fit thru opening going into where you will be putting it. Dimensions, etc.

Door ways seem alot bigger until you try to wrestle one thru them.

Cosmo
09-27-2005, 09:29 AM
Jechmo.com has quite a selecton at reasonable prices.
Jim

Discusgeo2
09-29-2005, 05:30 AM
See if you can find some of these water containers around your home. This 275gal tank is only $200.00 here in Phoenix.
Water tank (http://www.arizonabarrels.com/275_gallon_totes.html)

Cosmo
09-30-2005, 08:55 PM
I'd have to rip a wall out just to get that puppy into the house... much less the fish room lol Would be nice though :D

Jim

Discusgeo2
10-01-2005, 06:35 PM
Jim put that tank in the backyard

Cosmo
10-08-2005, 10:42 AM
Hey George,

I live in Chicago.. gets to 10,20 below zero here in the winter :( I'd have to bury it at least 4 feet underground to keep the water from freezing, and, would need some hellatieous heaters to bring the temp up :(

Geography can be a bummer sometimes :D

Jim

lauris
10-10-2005, 01:15 PM
I used water tanks for livestock. they are made of galvanized metal and were quite light, easy for one person to handle. mine are 7' long, 20" wide and 25" tall or thereabouts. got them down a narrow basement stairway. actually bought 8 footers to begin with but could not get them down the stairs. they cost about $120 each. i looked all over for a better bargain, but space constraints will really dictate what you can do. they hold 157 gallons apiece as i recall, maybe it was 173. i was able to stack them one on top of the other against a wall and maximize available space.

i would recommend using two. it was not my intention, but a unanticipated side-benefit is that i can drain one and refill it while i use out of the other. they are linked by pvc with a submersible to start a siphon, but i can turn that off. have the hose from the tap, or however you fill it, split so you can direct flow into either tank. if i drain one, and then fill it with only hot water (that turns cold of course after the hot water heater is drained) for a set time, i can then have 85 degree water for further water changes (with a chlorine remover of course).

i started with stacked tanks, one over the other on racks. i would keep fish in the top and age and heat water in the bottom tank. that worked pretty well, but eventually got fish for them.

Willie
10-15-2005, 12:43 PM
if i drain one, and then fill it with only hot water (that turns cold of course after the hot water heater is drained) for a set time, i can then have 85 degree water for further water changes (with a chlorine remover of course).

You must have scary heating bills, Lauris.

Willie :)

Discus_KC
10-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Just go for it !!! 1500 Gallons

$349 Brand new

Spices
10-15-2005, 10:08 PM
:D :D :D Jack, you're a riot with that water storage tank! LOL But I know you use it quite efficiently for those beautiful fish you keep. :thumbsup:

I know for sure if you were up here by me you'd have at least a third of that tank filled with fresh rain water. What a week and a half we had in the east coast. Torrential and continuous rains.

*Angie*
:wave:

Greg Richardson
10-15-2005, 11:02 PM
How do you clean the inside of a tank like that?
About every 4 months or so I need to clean my rubbermaids.

CAGE-RATTLER
11-15-2005, 08:20 AM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//attachment.php?attachmentid=8735&stc=1&d=1129423677

$349 Brand new

COOL ............. Drive by water changes .... :D

You can make a fortune just going house to house doing water changes ... lol.

Hope you beefed up that suspension ;)

Elite Aquaria
10-31-2006, 10:31 PM

$349 Brand new

I almost fell off my chair when I clicked on your picture...I would need to build another room just to store this baby. But I love it...and Cage has something here.

Dan

Bainbridge Mike
11-01-2006, 01:54 PM
How do you clean the inside of a tank like that?
About every 4 months or so I need to clean my rubbermaids.

Good question Greg. I just got a 175 gallon vertical storage tank. It is 30 inches in diameter and 5 feet tall. The removable top is about 10 inches in diameter. I was planning to flush it out with bleach every 3 to 4 months. Any one have a better suggestion?

Mike

Cosmo
11-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Mike,

If you have any really young children you could outfit with scuba gear ... :confused:

I have 2 of the 65 gallon vertical w/ an 8inch opening and they're really a PITA to clean...can't imagine cleaning that monster you have.

Jack's 1500 as I recall sits in his garage... essentially a room for only water storage ... lol

I recently checked into buying another 65 gal and found out that the freight is now over $100... almost the same as the tank itself :mad: Needless to say, I still only have two :(

Jim

ronrca
11-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Good question Greg. I just got a 175 gallon vertical storage tank. It is 30 inches in diameter and 5 feet tall. The removable top is about 10 inches in diameter. I was planning to flush it out with bleach every 3 to 4 months. Any one have a better suggestion?

Mike
lol! My 250G storage tank is 7' high so the ceiling is only 1' or so from the top. Not sure how to scrub it. Im thinking that bleach is the only way to go as well. :(
Or?

Greg Richardson
11-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Can you angle a pressure washer wand in there? Start at bottom and work your way up as you adjust pressure. Visqueen off your area for over spray.
Wear googles! LOL!

disvegas
12-06-2006, 04:57 AM
Greg, I bought my 300g about a month ago from a local residence. I think it's 35" wide by 72" high, used but in great condition with valve and cost me only $50 bucks. It's sitting in my yard as I don't know what to do with it yet.

Collin,

dishpanhands
12-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Well whats wrong with just a Potassium Permanganate treatment and a flush..No way to get anything in them...LOL

troyclark
12-06-2006, 02:51 PM
I have a 300 gallon vertical that is 36" wide and almost 7' tall and a 210 gallon vertical that is around 28" wide by 6' tall and used the potassium permanganate method to clean them the first time. The only problem is that after the PP does its job all the stuff on the sides is brown and still needs to be wiped down. Next time I clean them I am going to use a 1/2 gallon of bleach per and rinse the heck out of them.

Should a 1/2 gallon per be enough bleach or should I use a gallon each ??

Thanks

D discus
02-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Just install a house water filter,with a 10 micron cartridge for sediment. If you have bad water (bacteria) then stay with the bleach! DD

Ichthyology
03-03-2007, 02:51 AM
Use sodium metabilsulphite to get rid of the brown color (can be purchased at beer brewing supply shops). I use sodium metabilsulphite instead of pot. permag. as I find it to be a better oxidiser....