PDA

View Full Version : Discus has fat upper lip need advice.

cruzzinchop
09-14-2005, 03:05 PM
I have a very nice pair of discus. They just layed eggs and where fanning them well. The first time they ate them up on day 2. I covered the eggs this time with plastic screen. The eggs turned white and slimy. But the dad has gotten a fat upper lip. Does not look damaged but it has over doubled in size. Could it just be from the screen? I hae not really seen him pick at the screen but I may have missed an aggressive attemp to remove it. Could it be anything else? Like I say the eggs went bad so I washed the pot off and placed it back in the tank. He still eats and all just a big lip.

Thanks for any help.

DarkDiscus
09-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Chances are he tried to remove the screen and banged his lip. I'd consider some salt, but other than that, I'd leave him and keep a close eye. Discus heal very well and that sort of think should not be a problem.

If there are signs of infection or fungus, then other measures should be considered.

HTH,

John

PS. I had a fish really gouge himself on a piece of driftwood - a deep, angry gash - and it healed completely in a little over 2 weeks.

cruzzinchop
09-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Thanks,
I dosed the tank with some salt already figuiring that would aid the healing process. I will keep an eye out for any fungus ect..

Thanks again