PDA

View Full Version : tubifex worms

discus2010
09-19-2005, 07:17 PM
I have been reading some of these forums in the beginer discus forums and it states dont feed discus tubifex worms why is that?

I have been feeding my discus tubifex worms for a long time now!

cowboy steve
09-19-2005, 11:08 PM
I have been reading some of these forums in the beginer discus forums and it states dont feed discus tubifex worms why is that?

I have been feeding my discus tubifex worms for a long time now!

Live ones?

discus2010
09-20-2005, 11:05 AM
no just freeze dried ones

DarkDiscus
09-20-2005, 12:48 PM
I used to feed my oscars freeze dried tubifex with no ill effects, but there has been some literature stating that certain parasite eggs can survive the freeze drying and may pose a danger.

I can't say for sure about any other problems and/or the validity of the above claim...

John

cowboy steve
09-20-2005, 01:02 PM
I used to feed my oscars freeze dried tubifex with no ill effects, but there has been some literature stating that certain parasite eggs can survive the freeze drying and may pose a danger.

I can't say for sure about any other problems and/or the validity of the above claim...

John
I've heard that myself, the conscensus seems to be there is a possibility that in either their live, or frozen,or freeze dried form there is a higher risk of them carrying parasites than other foods you could offer.

I think it is the case that people do not use them on that basis, it's a "better safe than sorry" situation.

Personally, I would not feed them, there are other worms on the market you can provide for your fish.

ShinShin
10-04-2005, 11:06 PM
Many organisms can survive the freeze drying process, both pathogenic and "good" organisms.

Westie
10-06-2005, 02:39 PM
The only problem I ever had with Tubifex worms, live ones, was getting them in the gravel. Yes, I have gravel! But, I'm pretty sure Hikuri's flash freezing process kills all the parasites and bacteria. I've been using their stuff for 10+ years with no problems.

ppv1951
10-07-2005, 12:37 AM
look on the side of the container. if you are concerned about parasites and it doesn't say "parasite free", find another food. i'm using omega one freeze dried bloodworms. no parasites and a good, inexpensive food.

pat.