PDA

View Full Version : using carbon in filters?

f242
09-21-2005, 10:43 AM
I have heard that using carbon is not beneficial to discus? I have a few HOB filters that have carbon in them.
thanks

Carol_Roberts
09-21-2005, 04:58 PM
I don't run carbon in any of my filters.

dixiedog
09-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Me neither. I take advantage of the empty space and add more sponge.

f242
09-21-2005, 06:30 PM
but is carbon bad for discus?

dixiedog
09-21-2005, 06:39 PM
but is carbon bad for discus?

Not unto itself, but ...

First, it can remove desirable trace elements from the water. Second, it can, after some time, quickly break down and release the UNdesirable things it's captured BACK into the water.

aloha_discus
09-22-2005, 01:53 PM
Hey Marc, I dont use any carbon in my tanks. On the HOBs just dump out the carbon. The only times I use the carbon is to remove any risidule meds after prescribed treatment. I also use during my water changes. From tap water feed to mixing valve to 3ft granulated carbon filter to 5 micron sediment and straight into tanks. No storage barrels except for the 2 for R/O.

I should have shown it to you when you were here. May be on your next visit we can do that Bro.

The discus I got from Roy Khoo are doing great and growing steadily.

Ike

f242
09-22-2005, 04:43 PM
Ike,
I'm waiting for them to get bigger so I can take some off your hands ;)

Hey Marc, I dont use any carbon in my tanks. On the HOBs just dump out the carbon. The only times I use the carbon is to remove any risidule meds after prescribed treatment. I also use during my water changes. From tap water feed to mixing valve to 3ft granulated carbon filter to 5 micron sediment and straight into tanks. No storage barrels except for the 2 for R/O.

I should have shown it to you when you were here. May be on your next visit we can do that Bro.

The discus I got from Roy Khoo are doing great and growing steadily.

Ike

Gary Bolton
09-22-2005, 07:55 PM
Carbon can sometimes raise the PH of your tank water, personally I would not use it. If you do, keep an eye for ph raises.

The only time I would use carbon is to help filter out medications from the water added to treat discus along with water changes once treatment is finshed.