PDA

View Full Version : 240g "Project"...

Blur.fx
09-25-2005, 02:16 AM
I love checking out all the other tank pics on here so I might as well add mine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/hackthis/Tank4.jpg

It's ready to go so I'll be ordering some plants this week. :)

Blur.fx
09-25-2005, 02:24 AM
Stats:

8' x 2' x 2'
430 lbs of Flourite Red
100 lbs of Slate & way too much driftwood ;)
Just the one overflow
Wet/Dry Sump
Pressurized CO2 System with an AquaMedic Reactor
Dupla Heating Cables under the substrate but no transformer yet
3 55 Watt AHS PC fixtures @ 6700K
2 175 Watt Hamilton Tech Metal Halides @ 10,000K

I'm bad at taking pics along the way but we'll see if I remember to.

Spices
09-25-2005, 08:36 AM
So far, very nice!!! :thumbsup: ;)

Dood Lee
09-25-2005, 12:54 PM
Be very careful with your woodwork. If you scare any of your discus and they go darting about the tank, they might hurt themselves on the sharp edges of the wood. You might want to trim a few of the "branches" so that it isnt so thick.

unfamous
09-26-2005, 12:06 AM
that is really awsome. i am planning on doiing a 100 gallon biotope and i think i will use your tank as a good basis for aquascaping. please show more pics when the plants come!

lado
09-26-2005, 02:07 AM
Right on that is promising tank.Tumbs up.How many discusyou are planing?

Blur.fx
09-26-2005, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the advice and kind words!

I'm thinking about 8 or 10 Red Alenquers, I definately want just the one strain for the visual impact. I'm in no hurry though so it'll be awhile yet.

I put 50 otocinclus in over the weekend and it's amazing how few that appears to be after they disappear among the driftwood. Eventually I'm going to add the Sterbai Cories & Clown Loaches that are in my quarantine tanks at the moment along with 200-250 Cardinal Tetras in the future.

I ordered plants (Java Moss, Java Fern, Red Tiger Lotus, Echinodorus Tennelus, Corkscrew Vallisneria, Anubias Barteri v Nana, Echinodorus Barthii, Echinodorus Rubin) from aquariumplant.com last night so I'll have to go get the CO2 bottle filled today.

Condor
09-26-2005, 11:05 AM
Nice! I love the layered look you created with the slate.

Adrian

tomdisk
09-30-2005, 01:25 AM
Great Tank mate,

love the way you set up the driftwood very natural ;-)
Take care of the little monkees (otocinclus) normally you should put them in when your tank is wel esteblished and have enough food (read algea) in the tank to survive or you could starve them unwillingly.

Tomdisk

jim_shedden
09-30-2005, 08:23 AM
looking very nice..............even I .....a barebottom fan likes it.

thanks for the picture

jim

Blur.fx
09-30-2005, 02:28 PM
Haha, thanks Jim.

The otocinclus have been eating about an algae wafer per day so I hope they aren't unnecessarily starving. I got my plant shipment today so I'll be busy for hours tonight. The echinodorus tennelus that I received seems really tall, like 6-8", does that seem normal? I'm wondering if it isn't what I had in mind.

Any opinions on my lighting? It was an educated purchase and I'm hoping it works out well because modifying the canopy again isn't high on my wish list. I want to run the PC's for about 11 hours with the metal halides coming on for about 6 hours in the latter part of the 11 hour span.

Griz
10-19-2005, 02:06 PM
The fact that your otos are eating is a good sign. They don't always do well in an new tank. They will definitely be happier with the plants in there. You can supplement their diet with zuchinni, romaine lettuce, or cucumber. Blanch it a bit first and remove it before it starts to decay. About a day or so.

Great looking tank you have there! Looking forward to more pics.