PDA

View Full Version : Stunted fish and eating

markwill
09-27-2005, 01:22 AM
How does one address a fish that is stunted but, in all other respects, seems to be reasonably healthy in terms of what he eats. I have such a fish - had him for about 4 months and, while he's towards the bottom the pecking order (which is much less aggressive than it was a couple of months back, seems to come out for food when it's offered. In short, I don't think a lack of food is the issue. For the most part, he swims around with the rest of the discus.

Water quality is good (to the extent that I had some eggs laid recently, albeit eaten pretty quickly) and overall the inhabitents of the tank seem great. But this little fish hasn't grown at all in four months. He does look a little thin but not in an extreme way.

What can I do to help him (her?) with a growth spurt.

Thanks.

Mark

RyanH
09-27-2005, 10:26 AM
IME, it's very difficult, if not impossible to get them caught back up. Typically once a Discus is stunted, it's stunted.

Try feeding large amounts of BH or CBW and change tons of water. Also, water rich in trace minerals like calcium carbonate can help with growth rates. You may get a little more growth out of him but I would keep my expectations low.

hth
-Ryan

DarkDiscus
09-27-2005, 11:21 AM
I would think that if you had a 30 gallon+ tank and wanted to do the work you could get that fish growing. This is something I've thought about and which absolutely works with other fish, and I've thought should work with discus as well.

I'd place the new tank next to another discus tank so the fish doesn't feel isolated.

Then feed heavily and do 50%+ w/c daily.

Of course this plan involves a lot of work and takes up space for minimal reward, so folks don't do it. But I bet it would work.

John

markwill
09-27-2005, 11:32 AM
I would think that if you had a 30 gallon+ tank and wanted to do the work you could get that fish growing. This is something I've thought about and which absolutely works with other fish, and I've thought should work with discus as well.

I'd place the new tank next to another discus tank so the fish doesn't feel isolated.

Then feed heavily and do 50%+ w/c daily.

Of course this plan involves a lot of work and takes up space for minimal reward, so folks don't do it. But I bet it would work.

John
Interesting. Well, the "minimal reward" bit is open to dscussion. I'd get a huge kick out of giving this little thing a burst of growth.

I do have another fish that is not really growing too well. I wouldn't say he's stunted because I am seeing some growth but it's quite slow. I'm wondering if there is value in putting these two in a seperate tank together. That would give them access to food easily (less competition) while also addressing the isolation issue. I don't see these two ever fighting so hopefully they'd co-exist.

Thoughts?

Mark

Greg Richardson
09-27-2005, 12:40 PM
Hi Mark. I know a breeder who takes a small fish [stunted I didn't ask] and puts one in each tank that has a group of fish.

That helps that group of fish to grow out better as it gives them one to pick on if needed.

It helps the group of fish he is concentrating on to pair up or if grow out tank to grow better since the bottom pecking order is established.

If you have a stunted fish that isn't such a bad thing if you look at it from that perspective he actually helps the rest of the group.

Imo having a stunted fish is something you might be surprised on how many have them.

If you have the time for the WC's and extra feeding I do believe you can make a difference taking that one with the other one you mentioned in sperate tank.

Do a wc before work and another after with lot of food.

I'd say feed more often but feed less so water quality remains good while you at work.

ppv1951
09-29-2005, 12:04 PM
i would try separating him too. put him in with smaller fish. lots of w/c and food. maybe kick the heat up a bit too. he may not have gotten the food he needed when very small. if that doesn't work, just give him a good home and lotsa care. he may still pair off for you and produce good fry.

good luck!

pat.