PDA

View Full Version : Training baby discus on pellets?

vaporize
09-27-2005, 10:18 PM
Hi, I just discovered this forum and thought I ask my newbie discus question here. I got a group of 5 baby discus, they are about a quarter sized. They have been fed on exclusive diet of black worms, since black worm is not readily available in my area, I am trying to feed them New Life Spectrum small fish pellets.

Any tips you can offer so I can get them to eat prepared food?

thanks, vapo

mench
09-28-2005, 10:00 AM
Very east to get young fish to eat just about anything...just don't feed for a day or so,then introduce SMALL amts of the food you want them to eat....they will get the idea....in addition to pellets,why don't ya also start some flake,frozen etc??

Mench

vaporize
09-28-2005, 11:28 AM
It seems that they are trying the pellet and split it out, and then take it in again adn split it out and ended up not eating. So hopefully they will get the idea and eat it.

Reason I am feeding dry is b/c I dont wanna deal with live food or frozen for FW fish. :) Save me some troubles in the long run when I am not around and travelling.

ppv1951
09-28-2005, 11:51 AM
feed them your pellets first thing in the morning when they're hungriest. you might also want to look into some good flake, maybe with an attractant.

www.mreed.com

good luck!

pat.

Alight
09-28-2005, 03:06 PM
If you mean the size of a quarter, they should eat anything!! Those that I raised are always hungry, and will eat everything I put in the tank, even stuff they probably shouldn't. They love Tetra color bits, even the big ones. They just pick at them til they whittle them down to size.

You do have a bare bottom tank, right? If not that may be the problem. They like to graze, picking up, spitting out, picking up and finally swallowing. But eventually, they'll eat every last bit.

I feed Ocean Nutrition formula 1, Tetra color bits (I gave up on the flakes, they just eat too much to make flakes worht it) frozen adult brine shrimp, blood worms, and throw in some frozen zucchini, too. The polish that off after a day or so, too.

AADiscus
09-28-2005, 09:05 PM
I agree, try feeding them the pellets in the morning time. I wouldn't go without feeding them at all though. The small ones need to eat!

I would also give them some beef heart also. If you make it yourself, grind it up really small. The food processor works really good for this.

Any food they will eat is good.

What where they eating before you got them?

vaporize
09-28-2005, 09:15 PM
hey were just eating live black worm before I got them. I have had them since last Friday or so, they ate friday.

ppv1951
09-29-2005, 11:45 AM
when they're given worms too much they can get real spoiled. if these fish are real small, you should probly get them some worms to keep them eating something. they need to eat several times a day. then, feed them the food you want them to eat in the morning. they'll learn to take it. if what you're giving them now isn't working try something else.

pat.