PDA

View Full Version : ok-so I made a beginners mistake-help plz

aquakev
10-06-2005, 04:43 AM
So I had 2 discus in a holding tank. I bought them at about 1.5-2 inches from head to beginnning of tail. 2 weeks later, I bought a 3rd from the same tank from the store, same stock & everything. Everything went fine, and now the 3rd discus is the biggest. But... I recently got evacuated from my appartment and had to stay at my parents because of fires in SoCal. While I was there, I decided to look for fish stores. I found a to die for red melon at about 2.5 inches for a good price. Needlesss to say, Im impulsive with fish. I bought it. My rational was that I got the others in the holding tank for so cheap, although I really do like them, I could live with the risk.

So now the new addition has been skittish. i tried to rearange the tank but its bare bottom, just heater, filter and feeding cone. This fish is not as easy to take care of let alone the pecking order already established.

hes not getting much if any food. the others are fast, and it is having trouble with the mirrored image from the Bare bottom. I am afraid it has that eyesight thing where discus have been over breed and cant see straight.

lets hear some advice to correct my mistake and get this guy acclimated to my feeding.

Foods, frozen blood worms staple, color bits-second staple. frzn brine shrimp and very rarely beef heart.-edit- Ive been feeding mainly black worms now because thats what the store fed them.

Water changes daily at 50%

Let me know if there is any other info that might help!

Kevin

KD
10-06-2005, 08:17 AM
How big is you tank? What is you water temp. ? When I introduced new fish I had temp. at 88F and added kosher salt it seems to settle them in better.
Also I see you have a feeding cone- Maybe just drop the worms in so they scatter around the tank.

Dillan
10-06-2005, 12:46 PM
I've got just a sprinkling of gravel in my bare bottom tank -- actually just bits that have fallen out of the potted plants. Food tends to collect in the small gravel patches, and the fish like grazing there. Sounds like there's prolly something else going on with that fish, but since every little bit helps sometimes... Also maybe cover the tank so the fish can't see movement outside the tank? If it's just come from a farm, it won't be very used to many people moving around...

D

aquakev
10-06-2005, 06:23 PM
the tanki a 29g Bare bottom. the temperature of the tank was about 83-84 and just yesterday I rased it to 85-86. I am thnking of mabey just not wiping down the bottom so that the algeaforms a little layere and reduces the mirror image. or mabey adding some heavy gravel so it doesnt come out into the tube when I do a water change( I just use a silicone tube with no gravel attatchment so it sucks harder.

I have been scattering food, in addition to the feeding cone, but ive noticed it goes to the feeding cone but the others crowd it.

I am also thinking of removing some or one of the discus that is the healthies eater and most agressive to change up the pecking order in there and hopefully give this troubled one a break.

When should I start worring that this guy isnt getting enough food. It will take a few bits here and there but not nearly enough.

Condor
10-07-2005, 08:42 PM
It may be worth it to invest in a divider just in case things dont turn around soon. Adding more fish of the same size would probably help to spread out aggression.

Adrian

Cosmo
10-07-2005, 10:39 PM
If you already haven't done so, re-arrange any decorations you have in the tank, stones, plants, driftwood, etc. It'll fool the incumbents into thinking they're in a different tank as well and may settle things down.

Also, if you paint the bottom (on the outside :D ) the mirror effect will go away

JIm

Willie
10-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Your major mistake was a failure to quarantine new fish. You are playing Russian roulette and eventually it will cause all sorts of griefs. Most of us have gone through it and learned from a nasty experience.

Willie

aquakev
10-09-2005, 07:37 PM
Ya like I said in the original post, I was aware of the risk associated with introducing a new fish into my holding tank but was willing to take the risk because the discus in my holding tank were not that expensive. Thanks for the reminder though.

Well, I went ahead and medicated them with prazi and metro, and then left for a camping trip Friday, and today Ive been feeding really heavily. I think this litle guy finally found out that food is good!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I may end up getting a divider till I can fatten it up a little bit.

Kevin

KD
10-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Hi Kevin,
Glad to hear things are looking up. Most of my new arrivals would skitter along the bottom but then got used to it . I would keep up on wiping the bottom to keep it clean. You will most likely have aggresion with only 3 in the tank, I know you can't add anymore to a 29 gallon but 6 is a better number, Maybe one day you can upgrade to a bigger tank- LOL!
Who know maybe this one will become the bully one day?
Just keep the water clean and stable and feed lots of good eats!!!
Karen

aquakev
10-10-2005, 02:22 AM
Thanks KD, actually this recent addition was the fourth discus in the tank, mabey I gave the wrong impression in the original post. and yes, hopefully these discus will join my other ones in a 125g. planted tank when they have alittle more size on them. I dont think this guy will ever be the bully of the tank, I have this solid cobalt that seems to be blowing up in size. thanks again everyone.

kevin