PDA

View Full Version : Is it a pair?

eak
10-09-2005, 04:02 PM
Hi,

I have two discus that are acting funny. One is marble red and other red checkerboard. They both are about 4.5 to 5 in. I don't know if they are sick or maybe I have a pair. I think that maybe this is a pair but this never happened to me before so I don't know the whole breeding behavior. Last week I noticed that they got very agressive with other discus, they stick together all the time and spend a lot of time on one side of the tank. Two days ago they started shaking their bodies and heads and it looked like one of them was picking on my glass flower pot, but I don't see any eggs. Can somebody let me know how the whole breeding stage looks like and how long it takes before they have eggs. Thank you.

eak
10-09-2005, 04:31 PM
This is a pic of them.

Willie
10-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Looks like they're pairing off. The "kissing" is cleaning off an area to spawn. If you have a spare barebottom tank, you can move them there for breeding. The chances of fry surviving in a planted community tank is nil. The Marlboro Red looks to be the female.

These are pigeon types, so you should anticipate some problem with fry attachment. Plan to cover the breeder tank with white paper so the frys can more easily find the parents.

Willie

eak
10-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Thanks Willie,

I don't have a breeding tank or breeding cone because I didn't think that this will ever happen. I can always buy one but should I wait first for them to have eggs and then move them. I don't want to stress them.
Thanks again

Willie
10-09-2005, 05:52 PM
In fact, I'd wait until they have a spawn that produces wrigglers. Then you can be sure of fertility.

Good luck, Willie

eak
10-10-2005, 05:08 PM
Thanks again,

AADiscus
10-11-2005, 08:25 PM
I agree with willie!!

But, also in a community tank other fish might eat the eggs. If this happens then you won't know if you get wigglers, fertile male, etc.

If they aren't stressed in the community tank, move them. :)

Just remember when they spawned inthe community tank because it will be at least about 1 week before they will spawn in a breeder tank.