PDA

View Full Version : UV Sterilizers

quakana
10-11-2005, 04:05 PM
As a rule do you guys run UV sterilizers in your tanks? I would appreciate everyones opinion on this subject. I am currently running a 46 gallon with 4 discus ranging from 3-5". My filter system is a emperor 400 and a 350 Magnum canister for polishing. Thinking of adding a uv sterilizer.
Whaddya think? :)
Thanks
Dave

ronrca
10-11-2005, 08:04 PM
No UV for me!

Upper Canada
10-11-2005, 08:38 PM
There has always been a debate on this issue, going back a long way, some feeling strongly on each side of the fence and some sitting on it.

Their cost may have encouraged some of the negative support but they have come down while their effeciency has improved.

I will be interested to see what other opinions are expressed.

Bob,

Upper Canada Discus

turkis
10-11-2005, 09:04 PM
I have been using UV lights for the past 28 years, no problem with them except the bulbs are difficult to obtain and some companies closed shop, i.e. Startronics, Aquanetics, etc.
The UV lights are getting more efficient nowadays and at the present moment I'm using the turbo-twister and lifegard on two of my central system.
Mario

Jeff_Hart
10-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Mario, are you using it on breeders and growout tanks? Also what are the advantages you have found using the Sterilizers.
Thanks in advance

turkis
10-12-2005, 01:42 PM
Hi Jeff_Hart,
I'm using UV lights for both breeders and grow out tanks, it is to keep the bacteria under control in your tanks since I have a central system.
Bacteria will still be in the aerobic and anaerobic columns.
Mario

Condor
10-12-2005, 02:19 PM
Would a discus kept in a uv sterilized environment have any problems if transfered to a tank that did not have such sterilization?

quakana
10-15-2005, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the replies. What other than cost would be a negative for implementing one in my tank? They would seem to be a good addition to me?
I bought one but have not installed it. I could always use it for the salt tank I am building as well.

Don_Lee
10-15-2005, 11:29 AM
If you are having problems with greenwater or disease then a UV might be a good idea...but otherwise it is just a waste of time and money for a single tank IMO.

Don