PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Clear 110 Maintenance

Audrey
10-26-2005, 12:51 PM
I am running two AC110s on my 125-gal bare bottom discus tank. I also have 3 Hydro Vs running inside the tank. Daily 40% water changes.

I rinse the Hydros out in warm dechlor'd water about every 2 weeks, or when they start to look pretty dirty (mostly when that dark algae gets built up on the top of the sponges). Looks terrible.

Anywho... what type of maintenance should I be giving the AC110s? How often should I be rinsing out the sponge inserts in them? (Each AC110 has two big sponges in them). And how often should I be taking the AC110s apart for a cleaning? I haven't been doing that probably as often as I should, but they never seem that dirty on the inside, maybe because I do have pre-filters on the intakes, which get rinsed out daily.

So what AC110 maintenance routine do you all follow?

Thanks!
Audrey

Alight
10-26-2005, 01:35 PM
I use regular sponge filters on the intake of my AC 110, so it may be different. But, for the first time in 8 months, I took my AC 110 apart and cleaned the sponge (I only have one, very large one in mine) the inside of the box, etc. It was actually very clean. The sponge didn't really need to be cleaned! This was on a very heavily stocked 55 gallon, heavily planted tank, that also has a large Whisper double HOB filter on it. That filter also seems to stay very clean, but I also have sponge filters on its intake. The sponge filters do get very, very dirty, though. I have to rinse these out every water change, and they have to be rinsed and rinsed to get all the crud out.

This is in 100% contrast with my AC 70 that I have on my baby's 55 gallon tank where the sponge has to be cleaned thoroughly every 2 weeks or so, or it is slimed shut, and very little water flow out of the filter! I have sponge filters on the intake to this filter, too, so that part isn't different.

RyanH
10-26-2005, 03:10 PM
A prefilter will do well for you Audrey in keeping your filter from getting bogged down in waste. I just cleaned out my 110's yesterday, in fact. It had been a couple of months... :o

There are several less expensive options out there for prefilters but I really like the Filtermax III's (http://www.petsolutions.com/Filter+Max+Pre+Filter-I-32501930-I-C-23-C-.aspx).

I can always tell when they really are in need of a cleaning because the brown algae will start to inhibit the motor from turning the magnet properly. Thus, reducing or restricting water flow.

markwill
10-26-2005, 04:25 PM
This is in 100% contrast with my AC 70 that I have on my baby's 55 gallon tank where the sponge has to be cleaned thoroughly every 2 weeks or so, or it is slimed shut, and very little water flow out of the filter! I have sponge filters on the intake to this filter, too, so that part isn't different.
So, I'm a tad confused - if both the 100 and the 70 have pre-filters, what is your take on why the latter requires more regular cleaning (the sponge)?

Thanks.

Mark

Alight
10-26-2005, 05:47 PM
"So, I'm a tad confused - if both the 100 and the 70 have pre-filters, what is your take on why the latter requires more regular cleaning (the sponge)?"

Mark, I think it's because the 70 filter box is so much smaller than the 110, and also has something to do with the amount of flow. I think there is so much flow in the 110 that slime doesn't form as well, or something like that. It really has me puzzled, too!

By 70 was so plugged it was pushing the sponge and ceramics right out through the top in less than month!

Carol_Roberts
10-26-2005, 07:21 PM
So as you can see above the time varies according to stocking density and type of food fed. You will get a "feel" for when the filter needs to be cleaner. For now rinse the sponges every two months and see how that works. You may need to rinse the filter box and wipe off the impellor.

markwill
10-27-2005, 11:13 AM
There are several less expensive options out there for prefilters but I really like the Filtermax III's (http://www.petsolutions.com/Filter+Max+Pre+Filter-I-32501930-I-C-23-C-.aspx).

Ryan,

These pre-filters look interesting. I note that the page says that "adaptors" are included. Do these fit Aquaclear 50, 70 and 110's OK? I have a mixture and it would be kinda cool of they were interchangable (I don't need to buy for a specific size). It looks like the adaptor has a little right angle to get the water tube away from the tank wall, allowing for the width of the pre-filter. Is that correct (the little right angle thing comes with the pre-filter)?

Thanks.

Mark

Audrey
10-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Yes, the prefilters really, really, REALLY are a great thing to do.
Tons of gunk collects on them daily, I can't even imagine what the inside of my AC110s would look like without prefilters on my intakes.

I have been averaging a sponge rinsing / filter take-a-part and clean about every 2 months, but was worried that wasn't enough.

Mark, that Filtermax III looks just like one of the prefilters I use. It is a black colored, cylinder shaped sponge that came with a pond pump I bought once. Works perfect for a prefilter, I only wish I had two of them, becuase it has really held up well. Starting to get a little worn out. On my other AC110 for a prefilter I just use an Aqua Clear sponge, cut to size. Doesn't last anywhere near as long as the other one. I have been looking in the pet shops in the pond pump isles, and can't find another one of these things.
$9.00 is a bit steep, though, at that webiste.

Thanks all!
Audrey

RyanH
10-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Ryan,

These pre-filters look interesting. I note that the page says that "adaptors" are included. Do these fit Aquaclear 50, 70 and 110's OK? I have a mixture and it would be kinda cool of they were interchangable (I don't need to buy for a specific size). It looks like the adaptor has a little right angle to get the water tube away from the tank wall, allowing for the width of the pre-filter. Is that correct (the little right angle thing comes with the pre-filter)?

Thanks.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes, the attachments allow for the width of sponge and tube. They will fit virtually any sized tube. I have personally run them on all sizes of Aquaclears and a couple of different canister filter intakes.

They are pricey but will do well for you.

hth :)
-Ryan

frenchdiscus
10-27-2005, 04:49 PM
Hi Ryan,
It's doesn't really feet the Eheim 2217 very well, it's kind of loose...
In fact, it's only staying in place with the filter's suction

Like the prefilter a lot otherwise!

Olivier

RyanH
10-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Hey Olivier,

Thanks for the info.

I've never owned an Eheim filter so I couldn't speak of their compatibility with the Filtermax. Have you ever tried to silicon the attachment to lift tube? It may hold it a little better for you. You could still pull the sponge off for cleaning but then you wouldn't have to rely on the water flow to hold it on. Just make sure it's dry before you put it back in your tank.

How are you BTW? I haven't talked to you in quite awhile. I hope all is well with you.

take care
-Ryan

frenchdiscus
10-31-2005, 10:56 AM
Hi Brian,
Thanks for the advise! I'm doing well, also bought so more Discus from Kumar "Kumlin" 2 weeks ago. I will post some pictures soon, you'll see they are so nice...

Talk to you soon
Olivier