PDA

View Full Version : Two little ones - little for good...

markwill
10-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Well, of the 9 discus I have I have finally accepted that two of them are just destined to a life of smallness! Based on suggestions here, I took them out into a seperate 29 gallon tank for a few weeks, gave them plenty of food, did water changes regularly, etc, etc. No change at all. They were also very skittish in their new tank, although they stuck next to each other the whole time.

Aside from the overhead of maintaining two tanks (in completely different parts of the house), I've now just accepted that they are unlikely to grow much, if any, from here. So, I've dropped them back with the rest of the crew and now I'll just consider them the babies of the pack (they are about 3", by the way, but have stayed that way over several months while others of the same initial size have grown very well).

One of the two is a Scribbled Red and he has a "brother" that came with him (same batch - looked almost identical when bought). The other has grown very nicely. It is interesting to note that when in the large tank both have always had a significant amount of peppering. However, the smaller one - having spent a few weeks in the other tank - has dramatically reduced his peppering. It'll be interesting to see if this changes now he's back.

Thanks.

Mark

wolfbane
10-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Hi there Mark. I have 2 stunted ones too, two PBs, very peppery, but their place in the tank is assured. One is actually quite outgoing, comes to the front, bosses the bigger guys if they bother him. The other is a shy one, but both eat well and school with the others ok.

markwill
10-28-2005, 03:27 PM
Yep - my thinking has evolved to be the same as yours. I think I have 'em a good shot at growing but if isn't going to happen then so be it. They do appear pretty healthy and prefer being back in the pack. So, they might be small but I still like them a lot. And for the Scribbled Red he does provide an interesting "comparison point" to his brother who is growing nicely.

Thanks.

Mark

Carol_Roberts
10-28-2005, 04:16 PM
I end up with runts too :)

markwill
10-28-2005, 04:19 PM
So, as someone who's only 5' 7" I'm thinking this is no different to short people and tall people. Strangely, no matter how much I eat I don't get taller (I do get wider though!!!). Thankfully, I don't think anyone has considering culling me yet!!!

Mark

-gb-
10-28-2005, 04:44 PM
Personally I don’t mind having runts in my tank. As long, as they are healthy and have good coloring and shape.

IMO
Smaller Discus = being able to have more of them in one tank.

Kindredspirit
10-28-2005, 04:58 PM
So, as someone who's only 5' 7" I'm thinking this is no different to short people and tall people. Strangely, no matter how much I eat I don't get taller (I do get wider though!!!). Thankfully, I don't think anyone has considering culling me yet!!!

Mark

Mark!

That was hilarious! So you are not getting any taller? At least you can not be culled.....lol.....At what age do you all KNOW that it will be a runt? And obvisouly, you can not sell one?

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_1_231.gif
Marie!

wolfbane
10-28-2005, 11:02 PM
Runts just happen sometimes. The big eyes give them away. Mine are so nice and round, just 3 inches at 12 months of age. These were just starter fish from Dan, didn't want to make any major mistakes and kill expensive fish, so I don't mind at all. My next tank will have some top quality fish in it, but these guys have a home for life here too!