PDA

View Full Version : C02 equipment

MelaGal99
10-30-2005, 02:04 AM
Is anyone familiar with the Excel C02 system?

It is discribed as: "How it works: Water is converted into hydrogen and oxygen by electrolysis. The hydrogen rises up and the oxygen combines with the carbon in the carbon plate to form carbon dioxide, most of which dissolves immediately."

It seems to 'easy'??? I've seen it on ebay.....

Thanks for your input.

~annette

Dood Lee
10-30-2005, 04:13 AM
Go to www.rexgrigg.com

The site gives suggestions on how to put together a co2 setup. Or you could try the www.plantedtank.net forums. Just register and check out the equipment section. Lots of info on getting quality co2 setups for cheap.

MelaGal99
10-30-2005, 02:31 PM
Thanks ... I have looked at that sight, along with others, that instruct on the diy type units. Probably it's what I'll go with. And I guess once I create one many of my questions will be answered.

This Excel unit just looks so simple and easy to use... plug in, put it on a timer, and no worries. But, I'm wondering if it really works.

Thanks for all the input on this site. I've learned volumns!! I'm hoping that by Christmas my 55 will be a ready for some new Discus. Right now I have a couple of corys, 18 Cardinal/neons, 2 Bolivian Rams as well as a Bushy nose and common pleco.

~a

Dood Lee
10-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Mind giving me a link to that Excel co2 system? I will check it out and see if I can offer any more info.

MelaGal99
10-30-2005, 04:15 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7714734373

Thanks for your evaluation!

~a

Tiptoptank
10-30-2005, 04:22 PM
Get a pressurized Co2 set up. DIY is to unstable and unpredictable to have discus with. I used to have DIY and it was horrible. I heted testing everyday and changing the yeast every other week . Trust me and save for a pressurized system.

MelaGal99
10-30-2005, 04:37 PM
agreed, I'd like a pressurized system. Right now I'm looking for a stop gap to care for the plants until I can afford the pressurized system..... or should I not grow plants until I have the pressurized system.

thanks.

~annette

Tiptoptank
10-30-2005, 10:49 PM
I know it would be hard but I would say wait for the pressurized system.

Dood Lee
10-31-2005, 04:43 AM
That Excel co2 system is a cheap knockoff of the carbo plus co2 system, which itself isn't that great for co2. I agree, pressurized would be the way to go if you can get the components. Definitely check out www.rexgrigg.com. Not just for co2 suggestions, but for planted tank information in general.

Anonapersona
10-31-2005, 07:11 PM
I've had the Carbo Plus system and it is a pain.

The silver metal holder plates with calcium or something like that, it is really hard to clean, even with CLR. The carbon block is really expensive and needs replacing several times a year. Then, the spring that holds the block in the unit and connects for the electrical charge rusts away and then you can't hardly get it out, or if you do, the connection is shot. I hated it. On that 40 gallon tank, I went back to DIY.

Pressurized is just SO easy! $75 for a Milwaukee All-in-One regulator, solenoid, bubble counter, needle valve, add your choice of diffuser or reactor.

I just ordered a new set up today for the big 110 gallon discus tank that now has a lovely piece of driftwood with anubias, blobitis, and weeping moss. I chose the Eheim reactor ($15) which is now in use in the little discus tank and has the pH just right in 58 gallons with more surface disturbance than I'd like, and it is at a rather low bubble rate. I am not trying to get super high CO2 rates, I'm sure it will be fine.

Don_Lee
11-01-2005, 06:06 AM
I have never heard a good word about the Carbo Plus systems, I would not touch them with a 10 foot pole. If you shop around you might be able to find a relatively cheap and reliable C02 system. For example, you might be able to get a used C02 tank relatively cheap, regulators are not that expensive, etc.... Just make sure you get a good one! I also would not bother with DIY, a big hassle and unpredictable as well.

Don

Namreg
11-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Don't buy any CO2 tanks from a fish store or over the internet. I paid $79 for a filled 10 lb tank at a local welding supply store.

AFTICA
11-04-2005, 06:46 PM
Pressurized is without a doubt the way to go!

The Milwaukee MA957 and the JBJ CO2 Regulator are my choices... both are easy to use - a CO2 Regulator with needle valve, solenoid valve, and bubble counter. both have dual regulator gages for output pressure and bottle pressure. Other brands are fine as well like the Aqualine Buschke - AquaMedic line - but they are more expensive (But nice!) - also not as idiot proof either as the solenoid is separate etc... I bought the MA957 and have been using it now for over a year - very satisfied!

I bought my 5 pound Aluminum CO2 canister at my local Home Brew shoppe. I got a deal on that in my opinion - $89.95 Canadian - landed cost.

I bought the SMS 122 Milwaukee Co2 PH Controller - Works just fine - no complaints. the probe lasted a year and I replaced it with a pinpoint probe as that was available locally - totally interchangeable and works fine. If you don't mind spending the few extra - get the Pinpoint controller for a little more accuracy (it is good for down to 2 decimal points whereas the Milwaukee is only good for 1 decimal point - 6.8 vs. 6.85 - Yeah I know!)

On a side note! I have heard rumors that the pinpoint unit is susceptible to interference from electronic and magnetic lighting ballasts! I decided on the Milwaukee controller for this reason.

You will need a reactor of some form - I use the Reactor 1000 from Aqualine Buschke - AquaMedic on my 77 gallon - it's a bit overkill but works great... there are a lot of different options - depending on the size of your tank, the type of installation (ie built in power heads or hook to your canister filter etc..) and of course there is DIY - as reactors are easy to make - but for the lazy you can buy one like me.

Get a check valve - you can buy fancy expensive ones for CO2 from Dennerle for 25 US bucks..... but I use a tetra airline one for 98 cents. You can also use regular airline hose but here I did go all out and bought the CO2 tubing (less CO2 loss via the tubing permeability etc...) - the stuff I use is FRE-THANE® 95A Polyurethane tubing made by Freelin-Wade Company. 6mm OD x 4mm ID, It has Low gas permeability, and is Resistant to chemicals and fungus. It was not that expensive and worth the couple of bucks for nothing more than peace of mind:-)