PDA

View Full Version : New fishroom completed

Upper Canada
11-07-2005, 07:04 PM
This room measures 16 by 26 feet, and is located in my attached garage. The heat is supplied by the tanks themselves.

The first four pictures are taken from right to left, which takes you around the room. There follows four more shots and one showing a water control system to distribute well water to the various sources, sumps, R/O's, barrels and tanks. The water is pre blended at about 85 degrees.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions and I would be pleased to offer whatever assistance I can to those contemplating doing the same.

Bob,

Upper Canada Discus
Wayne Ng discus importer.

Upper Canada
11-07-2005, 07:06 PM
The second

Upper Canada
11-07-2005, 07:10 PM
The third

Upper Canada
11-07-2005, 07:12 PM
The fourth

Upper Canada
11-07-2005, 07:14 PM
The fifth

Upper Canada
11-07-2005, 07:16 PM
The sixth

Upper Canada
11-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Seventh

Upper Canada
11-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Eighth

Upper Canada
11-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Water control

Evan
11-07-2005, 07:43 PM
looks pretty sharp to me. How about some up close pics of those fish;)

I guess it would be a pretty well insulated garage for winter

ronrca
11-07-2005, 07:50 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the pics! You just gave me an idea. Since my wife has complained about using up a spare bedroom for the fishroom, maybe I'll also move into the garage. :-)

Id love to see more pics on your plumbing setup, draining/filling/aging/etc.
Thanks

Resinman
11-08-2005, 10:15 PM
I like what you have done. I love a neat and well organized room. A little advice I can give you is a study on pipe size and flow rates. For example I have a Grundfos 3 speed pump that on the top speed will deliver a flow of 3500 gallons an hour. On a fow rate chart to realize that flow I needed a 2 inch pipe. Another interesting point is by having all your valves pointing up it helps to even the distribution of water. Anyways I have been doing central filtration for about 22 years and I can not see me doing it any other way. Any ways I am new here and I love the openness and sharing of all you guys.

Brent McDonald

etr63
11-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Hey BoB
I love it. I am trying to set up my basement so I can move my tanks down there. I PMed you.

Jason
11-08-2005, 11:39 PM
Hi Bob,

looks great! nice clean set-up. will quaranteen be handled at another location?

Upper Canada
11-09-2005, 12:40 PM
Hi Evan,

Yes the insulation is 6" everywhere and remember that only one wall is truly an outside wall, whereas the other two and the ceiling are within the garage therefore there is no wind chill effect. The third wall is the housewall.

Ronrca,

I do not need to age the water as it all comes from my well, and the water is preheated to tank temperature. The draining from the sumps is automatic to the drain and for syphoning I have a hose connected to the drain and just interchange the 6 foot end attachments used in each system. I will try to post a pic of this as well as the vaccum gizmos I make up later.

Bob,

Upper Canada Discus

Upper Canada
11-09-2005, 02:40 PM
Hi Brent,

I think you are referring to the water control unit in your post regarding pumps and sizes however this unit has nothing to do with that at all.

These valves only control the flow of preheated well water which can be directed to any particular sump, hose or R/O units, they are shown in the picture as all being turned off, and I open any specific one when I need to use it.

Each of the three individual central systems shown have their own 1200 or 1800 gph pumps in the sumps themselves.

Jason.

Nice to hear from you,

I powered up a new system of seven 125 gallon tanks to receive the Wayne Ng shipment. It is shown above. I am not concerned with the threat of airborne contamination as some others may be. My intention is to only have Wayne's discus here and none other, in fact most of the other discus are being sold off which originated in one form or another from U.S. breeders or wilds from Oliver Lucanus

Bob.

candyl70
11-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Bob,
That is a great looking fish room!! I want one!! lol...

candy

BIGFOOT
11-09-2005, 09:37 PM
What size Medo air blower is that in pic 2 and 3 and how many outlets does it run?
Very,very,very,very nice room i can only dream about that day. Which why i asked about the air pump cuz i just bought the Medo la 45.

Upper Canada
11-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Here are two pictures of the vaccum connections which I have made up, seperate ones for each system. They push in and pull out of the mobile drain hose.

Upper Canada
11-10-2005, 01:04 PM
One

Upper Canada
11-10-2005, 01:06 PM
Second

JimmyL
11-10-2005, 02:44 PM
Hey Brent and Bob: I'm so glad to see you guys here. At least we can talk some sense for a change. By the way, Brant is a real old master in discus. We started from Wattley, Bob wilson time who actually breed thousands of discus....Expert in water systems. Ask him anything you want, he has an answer. Time to buy some fish from me and Tran now... We've lost you for a while. We have many broods going right now..

Bob: That's the first time I see your new set up. Dosen't look like your garage. Did you insolate the entire garage. Where do you keep your puppies in the winter... Still have 6?n Time to visit you.
Jimmy

Upper Canada
11-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Jimmy,

Only the fishroom is insulated.

As time passes, unfortuneatly so do our pets, we have five dogs now but each one can now get a little bit more love.

Jimmy, I know that you and Tran have always admired high fin and high body fish. What do you think of this? A Violet Reflection and a Giant Red Pearl. I think you will enjoy seeing them in person.

Bob.

Upper Canada
11-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Giant Red Pearl

JimmyL
11-10-2005, 06:23 PM
The Violet reflection is like an advance turquoise. I like it. A perfect shape from the side. May need some thickness as they grow. I prefer this type of fish anytime compared to any spotted SS. Wayne do have good fish. How big the giant read pearl will grow. Giant has to be very big.... 9 foot tall weight 500 pound. Just kidding... I'll check with Tran if you are ready to receive visitor.
I can see your Curipera are full grown now. If you fail to breed them. Pass them on to me or Tran.
Jimmy

Discus_KC
11-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Bob,

Really nice looking room !!!!! It's great to have the plan finally come together and finish. Great job and look forward to the future pics.

Jack

ronrca
11-10-2005, 06:41 PM
Wow! Very nice discus. Congrats Bob and good luck.

Upper Canada
11-11-2005, 12:14 AM
Bigfoot,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your question. This is a LPH 120 and it produces 5.2 cfm at 2 psi. It is currently only running 63 outlets ( with air stones ) and it can and has done more. It runs 120 watts, and is silent.

Thanks for your very kind comments on the set up, I appreciate it.

Bob.

Darren's Discus
08-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Great looking fishroom sure would like to sit at that table drinking a rum and coke looking at all your fish,great job !

architect1
08-04-2006, 06:10 PM
I to would love to sit and watch your fish all daylong. Beautiful fish and great job on the fish room.

t_j
08-04-2006, 09:42 PM
Great lookin fish room and great lookin fish to go with that fish room!!!!!!:D

Andres
08-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Wow!!!! Now that is what you call a fish room.

RyanGSP
08-07-2006, 02:39 AM
Thats a sweet room. Looks good. Even a table to sit around when late night visitor stop for a drink.

What kind of dogs do you got?

I see empty tanks. Time to fill them up with some new strains :P