PDA

View Full Version : Angels with Rams

crazydiscus
11-08-2005, 04:24 AM
Hey guys, I know this is a discus site but I assume that a lot of yous know about rams and angels. Has anyone have any success in keeping angels with rams ? What are the up and down sides to keeping the two together. Thanks Guys! :D

crash
11-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Havnt had much experiance with angels.
But if i am not mistaken angels have same water requirement as Rams and discus.

I have rams and discus int the same tank No problem at all.
Make sure you have nice driftwood and good places to hide, you will see amazing colors on rams pretty soon.

I know rams are very peaceful towards other fishes. I am not sure about angels agression level.

KIWI13
11-21-2005, 05:56 AM
I have a breeding pair of angels in the same tank as a couple of pairs of rams and I can tell you now that I have had no problems whatsoever.

Rams are rather peaceful for cichlids, the angels will chase the rams from the spawning sire but thats about it. They are tough littl e cichlids and can stand their ground.

You can mix em with no problems

Jason

Condor
11-21-2005, 08:45 AM
Couldn't think of a better mix of fish, well, other than Discus and rams, of course ;)

Ryan
11-21-2005, 02:48 PM
I keep angels in almost every tank I've owned for the past 10 years or so. I frequently put them in with rams, both altispinosa (Bolivian rams) and ramirezi (Blue or Gold rams). I've never seen problems. The rams tend to aggravate one another and they seem to be oblivious to the angels. Make sure everyone's getting their fair share at feeding time.

Ryan

Kindredspirit
11-21-2005, 09:53 PM
....but Angels with Discus are not a good thing?

Marie~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_5_19.gif

Ryan
11-21-2005, 10:29 PM
It depends on who you ask, Marie. Some people swear it will cause problems, some swear it's a perfectly fine combo. For the beginner I'd say don't bother. The main thing is learning about your discus (and your angels, too, for that matter) and learning what they require.

I think advanced hobbyists sometimes mix things that most people will claim to be a failure waiting to happen. The argument is that angels are carriers of certain things that they are immune to, but that discus fall victim to. I think if both sources of fish are quarantined and treated properly to clean them out, that shouldn't be a concern. Like I said, I've kept angels in almost all of my tanks, and my "cull" or "pet" discus often shared tanks with angels with no problems. The main thing is making sure the angels don't out-compete them for food. They're a little faster than discus.

That being said, I don't usually keep angels with my "nice" discus and vice versa because I like to keep species-only tanks when I'm growing out angels and discus.

Ryan

Kindredspirit
11-22-2005, 12:51 PM
It depends on who you ask, Marie. Some people swear it will cause problems, some swear it's a perfectly fine combo. For the beginner I'd say don't bother. The main thing is learning about your discus (and your angels, too, for that matter) and learning what they require.

I think advanced hobbyists sometimes mix things that most people will claim to be a failure waiting to happen. The argument is that angels are carriers of certain things that they are immune to, but that discus fall victim to. I think if both sources of fish are quarantined and treated properly to clean them out, that shouldn't be a concern. Like I said, I've kept angels in almost all of my tanks, and my "cull" or "pet" discus often shared tanks with angels with no problems. The main thing is making sure the angels don't out-compete them for food. They're a little faster than discus.

That being said, I don't usually keep angels with my "nice" discus and vice versa because I like to keep species-only tanks when I'm growing out angels and discus.

Ryan

Hey Ryan!

Thank You for taking the time to explain further. I do believe it was you that initially said that it was best to keep discus with discus. I value your opinion and I think I will keep them separate. I only have one angel fish ....and you are correct, it does depend on who you ask and unless one knows both fish well, such as yourself, or Barb, it probably be best to keep them separate, at least in my case...

Thanks Ryan!

Marie~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_2_74v.gif

Y0uH0
12-19-2005, 11:26 PM
I have this angel in my tank that is more than 2 yrs old and there are about 5 rams in the tank together with it. So far,everything has been fine,the rams have no sign of stress or visible injuries on them and infact,i believe that they are really comfortable in the tank despite that big angel around. Although the angel would chase other fishes away at times,the other fishes(including rams) are just too fast for it to be of any threat.As for discus,i have 8 turquoise juniors in the tank as well and the only time when i see the angel sort of chase them is during feeding time when the discus get too close to it. Think it must be worried that my greedy discus would take away all it's food. So what i do is i would scatter food all over the place so that they would all have a fair share of food to eat. I have no other complaints other than that.