PDA

View Full Version : single fish of each variety, or groups??

JimmyB
11-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Quick request for your opinions: If I am going to house about 8 discus in my tank, most are about 3" to 3.5" in total diameter at the moment, should I try to get 3 or 4 of a couple of color variations, or is it fine to get 1 or 2 fish of all the color variations that I like? In other words, get 3-4 fish of 2 color variations, or get one fish each of 8 different color varieties? I don't plan to breed, or sell fry. I just keep them for my own personal enjoyment. I am asking this for several reasons, including the squabbling and hierarchy competition issues, any ethical? concerns, and the overall health-enjoyment-and longevity of the fish. (And because today is a slow day and I can philosophize:p )

ed8t
11-08-2005, 01:47 PM
If they are going to a planted show tank you may want to choose a colour scheme ie. blue theme: blue diamonds, turqs, cobalts, blue ss. Thanks to the good advice on this board that's what I done. But that doesn't stop me from wanting other strains!!

It's really your own preference, but a good idea to choose your fish from the same source at the same time if possible. If it's your first batch of fish, I would choose a couple of each strain, no worries about compatibility if they're about the same size to begin with. I think that as you get further into this hobby, you would probably get an urge for different kind of strains anyways just because they're "different".

One last thing...I wouldn't be sold on just one strain though, pics of fish or handpicked can/will look different in your own fish tank due to lighting, background etc.

QiKsilver
11-08-2005, 02:21 PM
I was also wondering this when i had to pick two of four fishes and there were 3 colors variations.... Malboro red, red turquoise and cobalt blues...

I opted for 2 red turquoise because i figured that the two fish eventually could starts breeding (theres always a possibility right?) and i couldn't think of a red malboro breeding with a cobalt blue so i went with the 2 turquoises.

Then again I've never been an hybrid fan... breeding two patterns or species to get a different results is not what I like. I like the pureness and simplicity yet beautyful of plain normal discus. Just my way of seeing things, this is by no mean an advise as I am in no position to be giving advises lol

Mughal
11-08-2005, 04:16 PM
How big is your aquarium? If you plan on having 8 adult discus in a large aquarium, get 12 or more juvenilles and then you'll be able to pick out your favorites, and sell the rest once they are all bigger. Who knows, one or two may die, or a couple may get stunted. You should probably plan on it.