PDA

View Full Version : Changing filter systems.... best way?

Serbi
11-13-2005, 03:05 AM
I currently have a canister filter and it is definitely a hassle trying to clean it often enough for discus. I am thinking about getting an AquaClear 110 filet that attaches to the back of the tank. I heard that it offers good filtration and much easier maintenance.

My question is about installing the new filter. I now have good water chemistry and the "biosystem" seems to be balanced.... should I just disconnect the old filter and attach the new one? What's the best way to do the switch? I am afraid that the new filter will not have the "good" bacteria that help with filtration.

Any help would be appreciated.
Serbi

Greg Richardson
11-13-2005, 03:26 AM
Keep your old filter going for another 4 to 6 weeks. Start your new one now.
Then your new one be ready to be on it's own.

Might want to think about a couple of hydro sponges to compliment the AC.

satty
11-13-2005, 02:45 PM
I have an external filter,my doubt is how many months once should i clean the filter medium and the last time i did-i washed the sponge well t clean all the dirt is it ok? please do help me
Cheers

candyl70
11-13-2005, 04:51 PM
Satty,
Do you have a canister filter or a hang on the back? I am not sure that i have understood your question. But all filters should be cleaned at least once a month. You may want to stagger your cleaning routine so that you are not loosing all of your biological bacteria. Does this make any sense?

Candy

Dood Lee
11-13-2005, 05:22 PM
What kind of canister do you have? If it's a magnum 350, definitely get rid of it. Those are a pain to maintain. However, if it's a fluval, rena, or an eheim, I say keep it. You might just have to change your maintanence routine in order for it to be effective. Canister filters and wet dry filters are the best kinds of filters available for large tanks.

satty
11-14-2005, 11:16 AM
Its a canister filter,so i have to clean it every month once,and by washing the spone wont i loose my beneficial bacteria?

traco
11-14-2005, 11:30 AM
Do you have sponges inside the canister filter? You could switch the used sponges in there to your new Aqua Clear, keep the canister running along with the HOB for a month and it should be cycled by then. I also have sponge filters in my tank too, three of them plus a HOB. What size tank do you have?

Barb (traco)

Serbi
11-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Traco, how do you set up the sponge filters inside your tank? I understand how a "hang-on-back" filter works and I know about canisters too. My tank is 60g... and I currently have a Fluval canister as well as two power-heads. No other kind of filtration.

Serbi

traco
11-14-2005, 01:59 PM
Hi Serbi

The sponge filters I have are from www.bigalsonline.com . They are the Hydro Sponge V I have. You run them with an airstone and air pump.

Do you have a prefilter on your canister filter? That stops a lot of the crud, etc... that goes into your canister filter. They are rinsed daily.

Tons of info on this forum too; pretty much everything a person has a question about, they have the answer. It helped me a lot when I first started. :)

Barb (traco)

Dood Lee
11-14-2005, 10:47 PM
Its a canister filter,so i have to clean it every month once,and by washing the spone wont i loose my beneficial bacteria?

Depends on the canister that you have and the type of media you put in it. Sponges are technically one of the worst media available with regards to hosting beneficial bacteria. For my canister, I specifically use my sponges only to trap debris. For bio media, I use a sintered glass substrate. It would help if you could tell me your canister make and model, and the media you put in it.

Dood Lee
11-14-2005, 10:52 PM
Traco, how do you set up the sponge filters inside your tank? I understand how a "hang-on-back" filter works and I know about canisters too. My tank is 60g... and I currently have a Fluval canister as well as two power-heads. No other kind of filtration.

Serbi

I'm not quite understanding your problem. Is it that you feel you don't have enough filtration (and are thus supplementing it with a HOB) or are you trying to completely replace your current setup?

Serbi
11-15-2005, 01:20 AM
I am actually trying to replace my Fluval canister with an HOB-type unit. The canister is just too hard to clean.... unhooking the in/out-flow tubes ... too much hassle to do it often enough.

Dood Lee
11-15-2005, 01:38 AM
I am actually trying to replace my Fluval canister with an HOB-type unit. The canister is just too hard to clean.... unhooking the in/out-flow tubes ... too much hassle to do it often enough.

What model fluval canister do you have? Cleaning the canister shouldn't take more than 10 min.