PDA

View Full Version : Discus with Large bottom dwellers?

Articman
11-13-2005, 06:54 AM
I have a Pimeloid Ornatus and 2x syno decorus in my 4ft tank and am just looking to add some large adult discsus in there. Was just wondering if anyone has any experience with doing this and will my pimeloid leave them alone ?

Thanks

cowboy steve
11-13-2005, 07:05 PM
I have a Pimeloid Ornatus and 2x syno decorus in my 4ft tank and am just looking to add some large adult discsus in there. Was just wondering if anyone has any experience with doing this and will my pimeloid leave them alone ?

Thanks
You're dealing with enviromental compatibility as well as cohabitive compatibility.

Can your current catfish tolerate the heat for Discus?

The P.Ornatus temperature range is 24-25c, or 75-77f.

S.Decorus 22-28c or 71-82f.

Based on temp alone, I would say the Discus enviroment would not be hospitable to either species.

You're Pimeloid probably would not bother the Discus, in terms of aggression, but will compete for food on the bottom, and sometimes whiskers really bother other fish, even when the catfish inadvertantly brushes against them.

Articman
11-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Thanks for your reply steve.

Ive had the tank running at 28 C since I started and the Pimeloid seems to be fine. Been in there 4 months. What I was most scared of was bothering the Discus as I put some neons in there as tester fish, to see how he reacts, only to see them dissappear in 2 days, (Which I knew was most likely to happen but you never know until you try). Overall I didn't want to get rid of this beatiful fish but if it comes down to a him or my wild heckels Ill take my heckels.

Willie
11-13-2005, 08:23 PM
Pimeloids are very active at night. For that reason, they are generally considered incompatible with discus.

Willie