PDA

View Full Version : DIY-fishroom

sanghan47558
11-15-2005, 01:58 AM
As some of you know, I will be starting to breed fish and will be combining all of my friends' and my tanks together, and setting up a fish room in an outhouse next to my house. I plan on setting up 4 50 gallons, 4 30 gallons, 2-20 gallons, and 3-10 gallons. I plan to set up the 50's on one common filter and all the smaller ones in another common filter...what do u guys recommend for pumping the water back into the tanks from the 2 separate filters?
THanks
-SAng

sanghan47558
11-15-2005, 05:29 AM
and also
how much does it pay to upgrade the wiring in a power outlet inoreder to have more volatge...
how much does it cost to make a nother one?

sanghan47558
11-21-2005, 11:45 AM
hello?

ronrca
11-21-2005, 12:21 PM
what do u guys recommend for pumping the water back into the tanks from the 2 separate filters?
I like using Mag Pumps. They are affordable and reliable however there are many pumps that will do the same.

how much does it pay to upgrade the wiring in a power outlet inoreder to have more volatge Yes! Since you have a lot of tanks, you need to figure out how many receptacles you need for heating, water pumps, air pumps, lighting and a few extras. You can calculate the load by adding together the equipment you are using to see how many circuits you need.

sanghan47558
11-28-2005, 10:10 PM
THanks for replying
and sorry for the late reply

Moon
11-29-2005, 05:36 PM
I have 25 tanks in my fish room and have 4 circuits. One dedicated cct for lighting and three for receptacles. I have about 6 receptacles per cct. Not very expensive if you do the work yourself.

sanghan47558
12-14-2005, 03:01 AM
sorry again for the late reply
and sorry for my stupidity, but wut are reptacles and cct.
-"stupid" sang

White Worm
12-14-2005, 03:20 AM
receptacles are what you plug into and cct probably stands for circuit which a circuit usually runs a certain amount of receptacles or a certain area. Each circuit has a fuse that will shut off power when there is too much load (power) being used.

sanghan47558
12-14-2005, 03:52 AM
And guys, I totally changed my plan.... i mean TOTALLY
The room is 10 by 12 feet. I plan on using Gorilla Racks.
Basically, I have 5 Racks located throughout the room. I will name them 1-5 starting from the top left corner going clockwise.
-On each rack, I plan on three "layers".
IN the very back (top of plan) I plan 30 gallon breeders for discus and Angels.
In rack 1 I plan to have discus. The top two "layers" will have 30 gallon breeder tanks for discus. There will be 5 tanks on each layer. On the bottom layer, i will have a 55 gallon grow out, along with 2 more 30 gallon tanks. ***note*** the tanks will stick out about 6 inches from the racks, so we need to watch our heads.
In rack 2 I plan for angels. The top 2 layers will be 20 gallon breeders with 5 tanks on each layer. on the bottom layer, I will have a 55 gallon tank along with 2 more twenty gallon tanks.
In rack 3 and 4 I plan a 55 gallon, and 2 10 gallons on each layer. The 55 gallons will be for grow out, and the 10's will be for guppies(3 tanks) and the rest will be for Dwarf cichlids (15 tanks)
In rack 5 I plan a 55 gallon and various (10, 20, or 30 gallon) tanks on each layer.
In the bottom right corner, I might have a large storage container, but im afrain that it might not fit through the door. If I get one it will have to be 300 gallons at the biggest....which is not big nough in my opinion.
Overall, we will have:
18----30(or 29) gallon tanks
12----20 gallon tanks
18----10 gallon tanks
11(or 14)----5 gallon tanks
If we don’t put in the water storage tank, we will probably add 3 more 55 gallon grow out tanks.
-Which gives us 1,565 gallons ~ 1,730 gallons
We will hook up drainage systems with PVC pipes and check valves (which are basically valves the block and unblock the pipes). We need this drainage system for water changes, and the outflow pipes will all be hooked up to a larger pipe, which will then let the water out through a hole we will make in the wall.
For lighting we will use flourescent lights (t8) for every 48 " of tank, but this will need 15 outlets…..crap
For heating, we will buy a radiator ( you know those heaters that look like grills) (I also recommend buying an extra one incase it gets messed up).
We will definitely want a dehumidifier. I’m not sure if we need a big or small one yet, because I noticed 2 vents in the room which might be left open for moisture venting. These vents will also affect the heating of the room. The room need to be like 85-88 degrees.
We need to think about adding a freezer for the frozen foods and such.
We might consider a fan to distribute heat more. We will be painting the walls and the ceiling blue(3 sides or 1 side) and green (1 side or 3 sides). If we want, we will cover the floor with linoleum flooring for waterproof, and also to make it look more homey.
The only thing wth higher energ wil be the heater, and the dehumidifier.
What if I plugged in 5 lights and 1 major appliance to every 6-power-oulet strip? would that work?
any opinions?

Sorry for the confusing writing, but i really am excited.

sanghan47558
12-15-2005, 12:59 AM
anyone have comments?
or suggestions
they would be appreciated

Greg Richardson
12-15-2005, 02:17 AM
If you can take pictures as you go that helps with suggestions also.

Not sure where you live so this thread may not apply.
But if it does I think it's well worth your time to read it.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=38372

If you put gorrilla racks in the search engine there was some great links in a thread the other day about them.
One link showed some very nice cross braces you might be interested in.
Let us know how they work for you.

What are you going to do if no storage tank as you say might happen?

If you plan to grow out juvis quick to get them to market I'd make storage right at the top of your priority list.
Even if you lose tank space. Go for more containers.

You'll want to use exterior paint on your walls.
This paint has mildew properties in it.

Not sure where you live but some places you can buy paint that has it's own vapor barrier. At least that is what the manufacture says.
I did notice a city in my area allowed that paint to be used instead of visqueen wrap on walls and lid so I guess it gives it some credibility because 75% of those building inspectors are jerks to begin with.

Mack
12-15-2005, 05:16 AM
[QUOTE=sanghan47558]And guys, I totally changed my plan.... i mean TOTALLY
The room is 10 by 12 feet. I plan on using Gorilla Racks.
The top two "layers" will have 30 gallon breeder tanks for discus. There will be 5 tanks on each layer.

You might want to check total length again...if you are using classic 30B they are 3 feet long...so for 5 tanks the total length is 15'...room is 10x12?

sanghan47558
12-21-2005, 12:36 AM
sorry for the slow reply again!
well i changed it again, the 30 gallons have been changed to 29 gallons with dimensions 30x12x18 (inches)
If you are referring to grow out tanks, I have plenty of those (13 50 gallon grow out tanks) I was refering to the large vats for storing water. Do you think I sould add a vat and create an automatic water changing system, or shoudl i add more grow outs?

there a 6 30 galons, 2 20 galons, 12 10 gallons, and 13 50 gallons
There are still 5 gorrilla racks.
I haven't been able to take pictures, but I will soon. I'v already painted the walls and had them primed also( supposedly i had oil based paints)
Also do you think I should use a dehumidifier? there were 2 vents, but i want to comver these up so the room will retain more heat.

sanghan47558
12-21-2005, 12:36 AM
sorry for the slow reply again!
well i changed it again, the 30 gallons have been changed to 29 gallons with dimensions 30x12x18 (inches)
If you are referring to grow out tanks, I have plenty of those (13 50 gallon grow out tanks) I was refering to the large vats for storing water. Do you think I sould add a vat and create an automatic water changing system, or shoudl i add more grow outs?

there a 6 30 galons, 2 20 galons, 12 10 gallons, and 13 50 gallons
There are still 5 gorrilla racks.
I haven't been able to take pictures, but I will soon. I'v already painted the walls and had them primed also( supposedly i had oil based paints)
Also do you think I should use a dehumidifier? there were 2 vents, but i want to comver these up so the room will retain more heat.

Greg Richardson
12-21-2005, 12:43 AM
I'd definetly add a dehumidifier.
And I'd definetly go for enough storage water compared to tanks given the choice.
It's the water imo that will make the difference.
And yep go auto on wc's.

Yep, be great to see pictures when you have time.

ronrca
12-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Imo and ime, try to automate the wc's as much as possible. By this I mean using valves to help control water flow. Especially useful are valves used for filling. This way you dont have to consistantly monitor water pumping into the tanks and can wipe the tanks or clean filters instead during that time.

The size of water storage should be determined by the total tank volume that you want to do a wc with and then so. When it comes to storage tanks and water pumps, get the bigger one. ;)

Id love to see pics! :D