PDA

View Full Version : Future setup questions?

CAGE-RATTLER
11-15-2005, 01:22 PM
Ive been brainstorming a bit and came up with a quick drawing and was hoping to hear some pro's and cons on what i came up with for a drain and fill setup.

This wont be happening anytime soon but just trying to get all the info i can.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Its setup to drain and fill from one line and can do a full water change or any percentage i wish by haveing the tube all the wat to the bottom.

As you can see i put 2 pipes into the bottom 2 larger tanks with the thought of all tanks finishing draining and filling near the same time.

http://home.comcast.net/~cagerattler3/images/plumming.gif

ronrca
11-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Couple things off the top of my head. Dont put the top and bottom drains on the same pipe as when draining/filling, water can back feed into the bottom tanks if both valves are open for top/bottom. Top will drain faster than the bottom ones btw.

Also, make sure you place your valves lower than water level in the tank or lower than the tank.

Imo, Id use separate lines for drain/fill to lessen containation if it were to occur.

White Worm
11-15-2005, 04:20 PM
YES, central fill is good but separate drain lines. If you happen to have disease in one and drain, when you fill all, you have chance of contaminating all tanks. Bad out, good in = healthy discus. Bad out and a mixture of bad/good in = problems. Just my opinion. Mike

CAGE-RATTLER
11-15-2005, 08:12 PM
Makes sense .... thanx.

Keep em comin.

Learning all the DO's & DONTS's before i start is always good IMO.

CAGE-RATTLER
11-15-2005, 09:02 PM
I guess i could put the water in line between the 2 rows and then a drainline at the bottom.

I was curious if the water flow would be equal at all outlets and was more concearned with higher flows closest to the source (left side the way its layed out above). Would haveing the main connection in the middle (from left to right) be better?

I'll work up a new sketch later.

CAGE-RATTLER
11-15-2005, 09:40 PM
After making some adjustments to my layout ................. im getting farther away from the simplistic design i intended it to be.

Couldnt i just add another valve and a hose to the drain from the far end of the mainline to flush it out before filling?? or just shut off the intakes to the tanks and open the drain valve and fill valve to flush it out before filling?

ronrca
11-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Yea, you could flush the system. Only concern is the risk of determining whether all your lines are flushed or just the main line.