PDA

View Full Version : heaters

gta333
11-20-2005, 10:18 AM
I going to be getting some more heaters for some new tanks I will be setting up. Has anybody had any luck with the Won Pro heat glass heaters. I know the wont match jaber heaters. but was willing to give them a try to see how they stand up. any input would be nice. thanks for your time. gary

Elcid
11-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Don't get Won Heaters:thumbsdow

gta333
11-20-2005, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the quick response. It sound like they are not a very good heater. the old saying goes. you only get what you pay for. I will be getting some more jaber heaters for my new tanks. thanks gary

CAGE-RATTLER
11-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Speaking of heaters ............ Ive noticed in alot of pics that most just have them laying on the bottom of the tank.

Is there a reason for that instead of haveing them in the suction cup holder and straight up & down?

goheel
11-20-2005, 03:54 PM
I think the reason people don't use the suction cup is because the fish might get stuck between the heater than the tank.

strawman
11-20-2005, 04:38 PM
I like the type that sit on the tank bottom so I don't have to worry about them when I'm doing water changes. I lost several of the type that go up and down by not turning them off

CAGE-RATTLER
11-20-2005, 04:53 PM
I like the type that sit on the tank bottom so I don't have to worry about them when I'm doing water changes. I lost several of the type that go up and down by not turning them off

Thats why i have my heaters and filters hooked to a power strip by themselves ............... so when i do a water change ........... i just turn that strip off.

But i only have the one tank though.

jeep
11-20-2005, 05:12 PM
Did someone say Won Brothers???

JUST SAY NO!!!

goheel
11-20-2005, 05:42 PM
what happens to the heater when you don't turn it off when you water change?

CAGE-RATTLER
11-20-2005, 06:08 PM
what happens to the heater when you don't turn it off when you water change?

I would imagine they would burn up when out of the water ........... i know ive seen mine smoking before when i forgot to turn it off.

alpine
11-20-2005, 09:51 PM
Do Not get Won Brother Heaters....repeat ... Do Not Get Won Brother Heaters......

This is a warning by a Newby with 9 months experience ...having bought the best heaters he though were available ...250 watt LCD Titanium heaters for his 75 gallon tanks...

The third time I refused to send $10.00 and the receipt for the warranty..
I only have four tanks...

Do not get Won Brother Heaters... I don't repeat this time...

roberto.

Greg Richardson
11-20-2005, 11:05 PM
They can put a man on the moon, but make one good heater?
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

IMHO............. All heaters SUCK!

Glad I got that out of me!

alpine
11-20-2005, 11:08 PM
Greg...well...I was hoping to try the Ebo Jaegers ... they all suck.. :(
What are you using ?

roberto.

Greg Richardson
11-20-2005, 11:21 PM
Using Stealths, Whispers, Visi's[sp] and whatever is in the bottom of my water barrels. LOL!

Thought I'd try a bunch and see who lasts.;)

The old green ebo's are good from what I've read.
Lot of talk about them.
I guess manufacture won't say you can submerse them because of legalities but from what I read in these threads you can.

Elcid
11-21-2005, 12:21 AM
Winter's here, be ready for heater failure. I wonder how reliable these are gonna be? It says Made in France, Yikes!

Dkarc@Aol.com
11-21-2005, 12:51 AM
It's not the heater itself that is bad...but it is the controllers that regulate the power to the heating element that heat the water. Almost every single heater now a days have built in thermostates that can feel the temperature and then adjust the power going to the heater to keep the tank at a stable temp. But the problem is, most of these thermostats are either undersized, or just poorly made...which is why some people have success with a certain brand, and others dont. To fix this problem, just get a nice heater controller that will over ride the built in controller. Jehmco sells a nice one that does just that. Plug the heater in to the controller and crank the heater to the max and drop the controllers temp probe and the controller does the rest. Here is a link to them...
http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/HARDWARE_/Temperature_Controller/temperature_controller.html

I know a few people that use these and absolutely love them. I plan on getting a few for my storage tanks soon.

-Ryan

goheel
11-21-2005, 01:23 AM
wouldn't it be more economical to just get a new heater? I mean a decent 200W new heater is only about $20.

Dkarc@Aol.com
11-21-2005, 01:50 AM
wouldn't it be more economical to just get a new heater? I mean a decent 200W new heater is only about $20.

True, but the reliability in that heater is the problem...the potential for the heater to stick "on" and basically cook the fish is very real and has happend MANY times to people here on the board. And you could use 2 undersized heaters to keep the tank warm, but if one fails and just dies, then the tank will be cold and may cause a few problems with the fish. But how many times are you willing to go out and spend $20 before you get frustrated and worried over the fish and if they'll be ok? 5 times? 10 times?? Whynot just invest and get a controller and know that you'll never have to worry about that problem ever again? Ive had 6 of my 9 Won Bro heaters just die on me...the other 3 are my older ones that are the old style and have a higher quality thermostat built in...they're just like the green ebo's....like tanks. Too bad the old style arent made anymore. JMHO.

-Ryan

jeep
11-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Winter's here, be ready for heater failure. I wonder how reliable these are gonna be? It says Made in France, Yikes!

I have 2 300w Rena's and have had nothing but ecxellent luck with them, but I now use ViaAqua stainless steel heaters. So far, they are excellent heaters. Going strong for about a year now.

I'm also considering going with a controller, as Ryan suggested, to put all those Wons back to work. BTW, I had up to 8 Wons. 4 were DOA and the other 4 boiled as many tanks of fish...

ronrca
11-21-2005, 01:23 PM
But the problem is, most of these thermostats are either undersized, or just poorly made... Yep! I had a controller wreak. Took it apart. Found the resistor melted and short circuited the controller. I want to replace the controller sometime and I remember seeing a thread of this but I cant seem to find it atm.

markwill
11-21-2005, 01:36 PM
So, in trying to understand whether a "central controller" would work, I have a question...

I have a 72 gallon tank and have two 300 watt heaters in there. I've found that I rarely get above 84 degrees. I have both heaters turned to the max - and have gone through a couple of heaters (like everyone else, I have found heaters to be generally unreliable).

If I go for central regulator, the existing heaters will still go off, yes (as I say, they are turned up to the max). BTW, both heaters have an "advertised" maximum of 88 degrees, so something is broken here.

In short, I still think I have a heater problem and the central regulator wouldn't help, right?

Thanks.

Mark

jim_shedden
11-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Mark:
You should be getting more juice than that. I have 2-200's in a 90 gal. and I can get it to 90f without a problem. I have been using Rena's for the last year. I had 11 jaegers but burnt them out. At one time it appeared that Jeager had all the discus business. Then they decided to do some modifications and started putting out an inferior product.
Heaters can be a very touchy topic on Simply. A couple of years ago it even got quite nasty.
Jim

markwill
11-21-2005, 02:40 PM
Mark:
You should be getting more juice than that. I have 2-200's in a 90 gal. and I can get it to 90f without a problem. I have been using Rena's for the last year. I had 11 jaegers but burnt them out. At one time it appeared that Jeager had all the discus business. Then they decided to do some modifications and started putting out an inferior product.
Heaters can be a very touchy topic on Simply. A couple of years ago it even got quite nasty.
Jim
Thanks Jim - good to know that there should be a better solution out there for me. This has been bugging me - I've gone through a bunch of heaters.

BTW, a good number of threads recently seem to have fallen into the "nasty" category, to the extent that I am posting less than I did before. I got into the hobby for the fun of it so can't be bothered with some of the stuff I've seen recently. It seems to be a "phase" thing rather than a topic thing. Sad really...

Mark

jim_shedden
11-21-2005, 04:56 PM
I agree Mark. For some, discus is more than a hobby and unfortunately when money is envolved it seems tempers become shorter and ego's get bigger. Simply was developed for the hobbiest and I think it has to stay that way.
I am amazed at what has been accomplished over a short period of time. I remember not too long ago that if you had a sick discus your only avenue for information was a few outdated books........now if you have a problem it only takes a couple of minutes to get all the information you need to make educated decisions.
As for heaters, all mine are now Rena's. To date I have had no problems.

Jim

Elcid
11-21-2005, 05:25 PM
Hi Jim:

It's good to hear that ur having good luck with the Rena's...I just got two from Dr.FosterSmith.com where they are on sale!

Hi Mark:

Is the top of your tank covered? Sides insulated? Located against a cold (outside) wall? It may not be nessarily true that ur heaters are bad, you could just be getting too much heat loss than is typical for that tank size?

take care,
Sandeep

Discusgeo2
11-21-2005, 05:56 PM
I have been switching over to Jali Titanium Heaters with a Separate Controller by Jali also. The heater just has a plug on the end and you plug that into your controller which you can get by Jali at the same time for about $40.00 total from Custom Aquatic

Part Number: HE-JL2JT-0200
Description: Jalli 200 watt titanium heater, submersible, includes temperature controller. Controller plugs directly into socket. 12 inches in length. Uses 1.8 Amps.

Shipping Weight: 4 Lbs.
ITEM IS IN STOCK
Regular Price: $19.95
Offer Price $19.95 ea
The 200 watt comes with the controller.

You need the Jali Controller for the 300 watt and above.
Description: Jalli Heater Controller for Titanuim heaters, 300 - 1000 watts. Six foot temperature sensor cord and power cord. Accurate to +- 2.0 degrees F. Built in indicator light.

Shipping Weight: 2 Lbs.
ITEM IS IN STOCK
Regular Price: $19.00
Offer Price $19.00

alpine
11-21-2005, 07:09 PM
Ryan, I went to the Jehmco site and the controlers were $89.00 plus. I am a small hobbiest, at the time I have four tanks . That would be $356.00 in controlers for my four heaters . I believe in buying quality but I do not think I can or want to handle that much.
Thanks for the suggestion.

roberto.

Discusgeo2
11-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Roberto go to Custom Aquatic and get the Jali, I have good luck with them going on over a year now.
www.customaquatic.com

alpine
11-21-2005, 07:18 PM
George, I kept looking at your post . I think I am going to check it out. I notice the heater and controller weight " 4 pounds " ??? that is what the shipping weight called for .

It sounds like a good choice. I have to check it out.
thank you,
roberto.

Elcid
11-21-2005, 07:29 PM
I have two of these controllers in use for almost a year now.....Does a great job maintaining the temp! I seem to be having better luck with them than the WON Brothers:

http://www.ultralifedirect.com/heater_controller2.htm

take care,
Sandeep

markwill
11-21-2005, 07:52 PM
I have two of these controllers in use for almost a year now.....Does a great job maintaining the temp! I seem to be having better luck with them than the WON Brothers:

http://www.ultralifedirect.com/heater_controller2.htm

take care,
Sandeep
Hi Sandeep,

The rating for the first device states 300 watts max, for a tank of 120-180 gallons (I have 72 gallons - not sure why they state 120 as a mininum :-).

I'd be uncomfortable with a single heater (in case of failure), so I have two heaters installed. Given that the largest of the two devices of the two devices only provides 500 watts, it seems this is not an option. Or have I missed something?

Thanks.

Mark

markwill
11-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Hi Mark:

Is the top of your tank covered? Sides insulated? Located against a cold (outside) wall? It may not be nessarily true that ur heaters are bad, you could just be getting too much heat loss than is typical for that tank size?

take care,
Sandeep
Hi Sandeep,

My tank is in a pretty warm room, it's in a corner against an outside wall (but not one I'd call "cold") and a "divider wall" (stretches a few feet into the room). So, I don't think that is a factor. The tank itself has glass tops and also has a canopy, with it's own covers. So, I think there is good insulation generally.

Thanks.

Mark

Elcid
11-21-2005, 08:13 PM
Hi Mark:

I don't offer insurance :), but take you heater out of the water and see if it's warm along the whole length of the heating element? It should get nice an hot pretty quick, if it doesn't it's probably time to toss it! :) Don't burn urself ! :P

JMO, If I had a 70 gallon discus tank, I'd put 2 - 200 watt heaters in it! At this moment they would probably be Rena Top Cals that are on sale on Dr.Fostersmith. No, I don't own their stock :)

It's not a good idea to have the heater on all the time, it means in the night ur temp is probably lower than in the day and this type of temperature cycling I wouldn't want my fish to endure!

The price diff. in the two controllers is not that much, if you do end up getting one for ur tank I'd get the 500 watt one! I wouldn't advise getting the controller unless you have some heaters lying around where the controller is no longer working. Don't go by the gallon ratings, it's using based on a tank temperature of 78 degrees or something like that with a room temperature of 68! Perhaps a 10 degree temp rise!

Goodluck,
Sandeep

rushmorediscus
11-22-2005, 03:23 PM
What about the via aqua? Last I knew people were having luck with those. That's what I switched to. It's too bad won bros changed their design. I have six of the 'old ones' that have been in service for approx. 3 years now with no problems. I bought a new one last year and it's already dead. Drs. foster and smith doesn't even carry them anymore because of all the problems.

Be careful with the jali's, they're really cheap for a reason. The controllers at jehmco are the way to go if you can afford it.

Whoever produces a reliable, affordable heater with a quality thermostat stands to be a wealthy individual. The demand for them is huge since the current market has NONE to offer.

--What a sad situation considering the technology these manufacturers have to work with.