PDA

View Full Version : Plants dying due to salt

crash
12-04-2005, 04:38 PM
Hi,
I put some salt once in a while in my tank. Very moderate quantity below recommended level.
I do it as a precaution to keep the tank clean of infection.
My problem is this practice has adverse effect on my plants.

I wanted some advice from all you planted tank guru's on how to keep the tank free from infections and how to also grow good plants.

Generally after the salt treatment my amazon swords suffer a lot. Are their plants that will withstand the moderate level of salts in the water / sand.

Thank you
crash

Timbo
12-04-2005, 05:39 PM
heya crash :)

here's a site that lists salt tolerant plants for the aquarium along with pictures and some advice from the author

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BrackishSubWebIndex/bracplants.htm

Dood Lee
12-04-2005, 11:30 PM
I don't dose salt into my aquarium at all. What infections are you trying to prevent exactly?

RyanH
12-04-2005, 11:41 PM
Long-term use of salt for a freshwater fish isn't a good idea anyway.

If you are treating for something specific, use a hospital tank and give your plants a break.

crash
12-05-2005, 10:21 AM
I do it every couple of months not frequesntly.
All and all I am trying to avoid any bacterial infections.

What do you guys to as a precaution against infections and diseases?

RyanH
12-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Hey Crash,

Salt is not really anti-bacterial as far as I know. It only relieves osmotic stress in cells of freshwater fish. Long term exposure is bad not only for your plants but for your freshwater fish as well.

If you're having problems, fill out the questionnaire in the disease section and we'll figure out a proper remedy. If you're just trying to be cautious, change more water and keep your tank clean.

hth
-Ryan

crash
12-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Ryan,
Tell me somethign,
Do you really think there is a need to be cautious?
I guess adding salt isnt such a good option afterall

Alight
12-05-2005, 01:50 PM
I have actually never had a bacterial infection in any of my Discus in my planted tanks (15 years of experience). Just keep up the water changes--nitrates below 10 ppm, phosphates less than 2.

The only things I've had to treat for are nematodes (capillaria) and tapeworms, and both of these were soon after I got new fish, that must have been infested. The treatments for these parasites will not hurt your plants.

RyanH
12-05-2005, 02:54 PM
Ryan,
Tell me somethign,
Do you really think there is a need to be cautious?
I guess adding salt isnt such a good option afterall

I guess the question is: Do you think there is need to be cautious? If you are concerned about the source of your fish or are observing visible symptoms, then I would say yes.

I have gone through and treated all of my tanks once a year or so for the last two or three years for parasites. Gill flukes never seem to go away entirely and tapeworms can come from a variety of sources.

Deworming and treating for parasites when you first get your fish is always a good idea and can save you a ton of hassle and heartache later. I like prazi and levamisole as well as potassium permanganate. You will want to do some research on the PP however as I have a strong suspicion that it wouldn't be good for your plants.

hth
-Ryan

crash
12-05-2005, 04:20 PM
The only reason was better safe than sorry.
I didnt want the headache incase of a infection.