PDA

View Full Version : Severum Vs Discus...

Pablo01
12-16-2005, 09:09 AM
Currently im upgrading my tank to a Rio 240 (50+ Gallons) in order to be able to get some discus...

At the moment i have 4" Golden Severum (the one in the avatar) that i will like to keep and i'll like to know if the Discus will be fine with him around...

Thanks in Advance
Pablo

cobaltblue
12-16-2005, 10:02 AM
In my opinions, severum are too aggressive to be kept with discus. I would not do it, but thats me. See what others say as well.

Ryan
12-16-2005, 10:11 AM
I have kept severums with angelfish and had no problems. Same with Uaru. I raised my severums with angels when they were small though. Because this severum is already around 4", I don't know if it would be a good idea.

You would also need a very large tank. Severums, especially males, can grow pretty large (mine was 8 - 10") and they need plenty of space.

I wouldn't recommend putting him in with discus.

Ryan

Pablo01
12-16-2005, 10:15 AM
At the moment the Severum share a the tank with 2 large Angels 5"... and theres no problem so far.... Severum is very territorial but beside pushing them aside a couple of times a day nothing really bad has happen so far... He only get a little bit anxious at dinner time:D...

Ryan
12-16-2005, 10:27 AM
Discus are a little more shy than angels tend to be. And if you are starting with young discus, it's not a good idea to mix 2 - 3" discus with a severum of his size.

Ryan

Pablo01
12-16-2005, 12:44 PM
Ok, so as far as i can see the severum is gonna have to move back to the LFS :(

White Worm
12-16-2005, 01:09 PM
Pablo,,, yeah,,,, its probably a good idea to take him in. You dont want a large fish that is going to outcompete a discus for food. Discus (for the most part) arent normally aggressive (like severums and angels) and like to take their time eating and like to graze. Some people dont even like to combine discus and angels. Everyone has their preference. I like just a tank full of discus and nothing else. Mike

DarkDiscus
12-16-2005, 02:26 PM
Severums are one of those fish where they have a wide range of aggression. I have seen some that were totally mellow and wouldn't bother anyone and others that were terrors. I agree that in general they are not the best discus tank mates, however.

I did have one that would have been fine with discus as he was so laid back he would have just been like one of the school... Best not to risk it, though!

John

tcfish
12-17-2005, 11:53 PM
Ahh sevrums ,tank busters yet some are mello yellow some are not,you have to bred them to understand them some might work while some wont,discus NO

IMCL85
12-18-2005, 12:40 AM
I like severum more then discus :). Ur severum looks nice. And the discus I have dont really entertain me much any more. while before I have a few severum back in my 40g which interest me all the time. They always coming up from my tank for food and will eat mostly anything that can be eaten from my hand . Unlike my discus altho they also are hand feed but I just aren't as excited nowadays as I feed my altum and discus they just dont have the severum characteristic. Not to mention severum is hardier and more adoptable to surrounding. Too bad u r far away from me else I might pick him up from u as I can put him in to my altum's tank which is good for him as my altum and discus size > 5".

Cheer
Jack