PDA

View Full Version : blue backgound red speckled discus

raglanroad
12-17-2005, 11:38 PM
any info on capture locations and name of the wild discus that has the patterning mentioned?

Ryan
12-19-2005, 01:22 AM
Without some kind of visual aid like a picture, it's hard to really say. It sounds like it could be a variation of the RSG (Red Spotted Green) but because discus patterning varies so much from fish to fish, it's hard to say for sure. Do you have any pictures? Are there any other features of the fish that are notable?

Ryan

raglanroad
12-19-2005, 03:25 AM
Ryan, thanks for the reply.
It is difficult to provide a pic, because the fish is in my imagination!
What I mean is that I've noticed that some altums have a blue background speckled with red, like a few cardinals were splattered on them, on the dorsal flanks.
I had in mind to find discus that had this patterning, and by seeing their capture locale, to help in tracing angel migrations around from the area of the Rio Demeni, the Orinoco which almost touches the headwaters of the Demeni, the Orinoco proper, and the Rio Atabapo, perhaps including Manacapuru area, and the headwaters of the Guiania.
The angels show interesting changes from the mouth of the Amazon, to the upper Rio Negro, and the altum starts being present from the uppermost reaches of tributaries of the Rio Negro , and then the rivers flowing into the Orinoco.
Seeing as how Pterophyllum is identified by 1999 work by Izeni Farias (she got the discus DNA work done) as:

Pterophyllum was identified in the ME and MP trees as the basal genus of the heroine group (Fig. 2 and 3).

this is why I was interested in where the discus get to.Here, Ibn's fish show a little of the speckling. http://www.angelfish.net/yabbse/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=8429;st art=20
Dave