PDA

View Full Version : anyone using the gorilla rack

tl211
12-24-2005, 12:43 AM
Hello any feedback will be great, if someone is using them which model number are you using

susankay1
12-24-2005, 01:22 AM
I have no idea as to the model number but we are using them in our fish room with great success. We even had one that held 2-125 gallon tanks, without bowing. The ones we use now are holding 2-75 gallon tanks on each row, 2 rows per rack and there have been no problems with them. We replaced the particle board that came with them with 3/4 inch plywood and that seemed to do the trick. HTH Susan

CAGE-RATTLER
12-24-2005, 02:44 AM
I stopped in sams club tonight to see what they had.

They had 2 gorilla racks .............. one that was 77 x 24 x 72 and it didnt have the particle board as shelves ... it had a heavy steel wire deck and was $169.

The other was the lighter model with particle board and 7 shelves and was 48 x 18 x 84. It had the lighter bracing too. It was $59

Unfortunately either one had the weight limitations listed and unfortunately they arent listed on the gorillarack.com site either.

They are definately stronger than most other shelves .... so why not list what they hold??

There was another brand of shelf there to that looks just like the gorilla rack ............... i believe it was called a muscle Rack and it had thicker particle board and was about $108.

The more expensive gorilla rack definately looked strong and the end uprights had welded braces on it.

The lesser expensive one was just angle iron with a cross brace on the back to stabilize it.

The one thing that worries me is there is no support on the left and right edges ........... just across the front and back ............... so if your tank wasnt the same width as the shelf ............. the particle board would be whats holding it up .............. not good IMO.

I personally would add a 2x3 under the front and back braces and also along the ends and drill a hole through the metal into the 2x3's for added support.

Im undecided on them and will hope to see other models before making a decision.

They have 30 inch depth shelves on some which would let you put a bunch of 29's on there with the short side out...................or get a 18 inch wide and put 2 on a rack long side out. I think they 60 inch width too which would be perfect for that.

tl211
12-24-2005, 07:38 AM
hello susan thank you, just wonder other than the beam and the replacement plywood, did you add any support to the beam like a 2 x 4 in the middle

BIGFOOT
12-24-2005, 12:46 PM
Hi !! tl211

I am not useing gorilla racks. I am useing something like gorilla racks. They are called Z- Beam racks. They are three self system that will hold 7500 rated lbs.. I got mine at Home Depot for 119.00 dallors. This is a 72x18x72( in inches) it will easily hold 3 - 125 gal. tanks.

Mack
12-24-2005, 02:09 PM
I use the 8 foot (18" deep) models...

Cage Rattler: I don't think you are looking at the same gorilla racks...they sort of look like the actual shelves that Sam Club uses for their stores...adding any additional support would be very unnecessary. When I bought mine the kid was able to get the specs. off the store's computer and the weight limit was so large I didn't even bother to remember...you would have to worry about the slab in your basement breaking before the rack ever would.

As far as the wood, unless you are using acrylic tanks, you probably don’t even need any…

CAGE-RATTLER
12-24-2005, 02:35 PM
Yes i was looking at the gorilla racks .......... the label was right on the box.

The 2 they had were the model #'s GR 7304 (packaging rack 77 x 24 x 72) & GR 2461 (storage rack 48 x 18 x 84).
http://www.gorillarack.com/products/packing/250X250/GR-7304.jpghttp://www.gorillarack.com/products/storage/250X250/GR-2461.jpg
The 1st one listed being the stronger of the 2 with the steel wire decking. (that would work great with a sheet of plywood overtop the steel deck imo)

You can check the model #'s on the gorilla rack website.

I believe i was wrong about them also having 60" width tho.

They have alot of different styles of racks with some having rolled beams, angle beams & Z beams.

I just wish the website would list the weight limits.

susankay1
12-25-2005, 01:54 PM
hello susan thank you, just wonder other than the beam and the replacement plywood, did you add any support to the beam like a 2 x 4 in the middle

On the one that held the 2-125s we did add 3 2x4s across the support beams just to give it a little extra support. On the others, no, they have a couple of supports that screw into the front and back beams to keep them from bowing out. We bought ours at Menards, they have a very large selection of lengths and widths.

Jason
12-26-2005, 10:06 AM
has anyone ever fabricated their own or pieced out the components seperatly?

I really like those and have wanted metal racks for years, they look great but I want total control over the dimensions so the rack is exactly the size I want.

BIGFOOT
12-26-2005, 11:15 AM
has anyone ever fabricated their own or pieced out the components seperatly?

I really like those and have wanted metal racks for years, they look great but I want total control over the dimensions so the rack is exactly the size I want.

I have not built my own butt i do work in a sheet metal shop. It depends on whos doing the work you might get a fair price. Some places want a lot of money to work on a one time job most places want a job that is repeated. And customs jobs that want even more money.

Jason
12-28-2005, 09:21 AM
so if I can't find the steele pre-formed and pre-punched would you say just using angle steele and arc welding would be a more economic solution?

BIGFOOT
12-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Yes. Butt those need to be some good welds. lol

CAGE-RATTLER
12-28-2005, 01:12 PM
The cheaper gorilla racks used angled steel but the stronger ones have rolled beams and braces.

The angled steel isnt very thick so a strong piece of angle iron should work well.

I have a buncha stainless steel rolled bars out in the garage that im also thinking about using to fabricate a rack with. Im not much of a welder and my cheapo electric welder may not cut it ........ but i may try.