PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Advice~

Kindredspirit
12-24-2005, 08:47 PM
I was wondering what you guys thought of 5 discus, Dan's, 2" or 3", I think he said, in a 40gal? Like forever type thing? I do not want to buy a bigger tank later. Or should I just go straight to 55gal?

And, I have these questions as well...I wonder if I will ever be sure of myself enough not to ask?

1. I need to put some sponges in one of my tanks filters to prepare for the new tank, right? So I can have it cycled when the fish arrive.... Put them in all the tanks? Or just one?

2. If Candy takes five of Dan's discus, they all may come to Sacramento initially. Can I put all 10 in this new 40 gal, just til she picks them up?? Or no?

3..And...How long before I can mix all my fish around?? lol...*******, I have quite a few now...or I will...I should qt, Dan's discus for what, 4, 6, 8, weeks? Worm them too?

4. I have had Cliff's babies for a month today, is that qt long enough? Would any of you mix them with the ones in my 55gal? Now or in the near future?

I am getting paranoid. LoL...with all these fish, something is bound to go amiss sooner or later, yes?? oh dear~

Anything else I should do or know??

Last but not least....and I know I have asked this 100x, but, Ms. Splotches, My Angel fish is huge... and in the 10gal tank. She seems fine, but it is small as you know...I am torn what to do with her...she doesnt have much room.... Some say to put her in with the discus, some say no.. I did it for a while, but she was hella mean!! So I put her back.

I am thinking that I need some sort of hospital tank, with all these discus. Shouldnt your hospital tank be like empty?? I do not even know how mine got full! How many of you have a hospital tank??
I thought of taking Ms. Splotches back to the lfs....but i can not! I got her when she was dime size and now she is like a huge dollar size pancake, and her white fins, that hang down, are soooooooo long..I wuv her, guys!! But I need her tank...and she is a B* to the discus...and some say do not mix...So I'd rather not~

Barb Newell.....Can I send her to you?? Dumb idea? She may not survive the trip....and shipping....*******...Barb Traco??
Mikey? Tina??

Any ideas on this peoples, I would so appreciate it a lot~

Marie~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_7_6.gif

CAGE-RATTLER
12-25-2005, 01:15 AM
I'll leave the answers to yoiur question to the experts here .......... but it sounds like your ready for one of those gorilla racks now too :D

Then you can put all your tanks in one rack.

That way you wont hyave to buy another stand and then get another 55 and have 2 55's on a rack.

cobaltblue
12-25-2005, 01:29 AM
Hi Marie, like cage and you, i am fairly new to this stuff too. So i may be corrected, but ill give it a shot.

I am pretty sure you can add a sponge or two to your already cycled 50 gallon that you just got going. Buy the time your fish arrive and it should be ready to just take out and put it in your new tank. If yoiu are thinking about a 40g or a 55g, i would just go to the 55 right away. The more space for those beauties from Dan the better, and at the rate your getting fish, you will need the room. A 55g with two sponges in it is a great set up. ( and two heaters)
I dont see a problem with you keeping Candys fish with yours until she picks them up as long as it is not forever. You dont want 10 fish in a 55 once they start getting large.

I qt fish for 4 weeks minimum. I know some do more. You should qt new fish from no matter who yoiu get them from. The traveling can have ill effects on them.
I cant advise on your angel, as i have never had them. If she is a meanie, keep her separate. You could always pick up a used 20g real cheap, sometime free and keep your 10g as a hospital tank. Somehow my hospital tank always ends up holding new fish as well....its a curse.
HAve a very Merry Christmas Marie.

hexed
12-25-2005, 04:09 AM
Marie,
my answers:
1 - Yes you can use your tanks to cycle the sponges. I would put the sponges in the 55 gallon tank seeing it is cycled with discus in it.
2 - Yes but you will need to do more water changes and she will still have to QT them again when she gets them home. Bagging them and traveling causes weakness and they still can become ill.
3 - I usually wait til they are all about the same size to mix my discus. I do not put juvis with adults. Putting small discus with large will result in stressing the small ones because the adults will be chasing them constantly. I QT for a minimum of 4 weeks and yes I always treat for worms and parasites.
4 - I would go for the 55 gallon and set it up for the juvis you have currently in QT. I would use the 35 gallon for the discus you are getting from Dan to QT them. Now as for Splotches. I would take the 35 gallon after Dan's discus are done being QT and set it up to put the fish from the 10 gallon in it. This will give you the 10 gallon as a hospital tank. Now Splotches has more room and you do not have to get rid of her ;)
This is what I would do,
Frank :)

Kindredspirit
12-25-2005, 05:23 AM
I'll leave the answers to yoiur question to the experts here .......... but it sounds like your ready for one of those gorilla racks now too :D

Then you can put all your tanks in one rack.

That way you wont hyave to buy another stand and then get another 55 and have 2 55's on a rack.

A gorilla rack??? I think I saw that Thread.... This will never end will it??? I need help. Meds, possibly. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_40.gif At the bare minimum, a drink!

Thank You , Cage for always answering all my stupid shyt! LOL!!

Marie!

Kindredspirit
12-25-2005, 05:35 AM
Hi Marie, Somehow my hospital tank always ends up holding new fish as well....its a curse.
HAve a very Merry Christmas Marie.

Hey Chris~

I just realized I didnt explain about the Smileys, in your pm's I kicked back to you! I will , I promise~

It is a curse, isnt it!!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_1_126.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_3_10.gif You have it bad, tho, babe! You have a lot of tanks, Chris!

Merry Christmas!

M~

Marie~

Kindredspirit
12-25-2005, 06:07 AM
Marie,
4 - I would go for the 55 gallon and set it up for the juvis you have currently in QT. I would use the 35 gallon for the discus you are getting from Dan to QT them. Now as for Splotches. I would take the 35 gallon after Dan's discus are done being QT and set it up to put the fish from the 10 gallon in it. This will give you the 10 gallon as a hospital tank. Now Splotches has more room and you do not have to get rid of her ;)
This is what I would do,
Frank :)

Frank!
Gosh, I have missed you! I like this plan. I do. Re #2, that is very true about traveling causes stress, hence some illnesses... I always forget that part! But, Frank, check this out...

You want me to put Cliff's babies, the ones in my 35gal, into my new 55gal/40gal ( whichever i end up with), is that correct? Shouldn't I just go ahead and put them in the new 55gal/40gal? Cuz that is where they are going to be anyways, plus Cliff's babies are so small, Frank, they may start trippin in that 55gal/40gal....In the 35gal they are in now, they have soooooo much room as well. They are only maybe, now, nickle size, and the two from Marc, are quarter size~ But, their qt is done, since it has been four weeks.. Oh, Frank, you would worm them now? Or should I have already done that? oh *******! okay... I will...With what?? Ya had to see that one coming! I have any med you can think of....un-opened to boot!

That is a good plan for Ms. Splotches! And the hospital tank should always be empty and ready to go, right? With no fish in it?? Cuz....... if I take out Ms. Splotches, and the Dojo Eel, and the two tetras, then.........clean it well, it is okay to have no fish in it?? It won't like uncycle itself?? ( shuddup, JM!) Also, it will be my hosptial/quarantine tank....cuz if I am gonna move over all them from that 10gal to the 30gal...omg... I can plant it with white sand, and get these really cool ghost fish I want! And, some shrimp...do they go with Angels??? No matter...I shall check it out...wow...

Frank, thank you so much! I never did order those silly Hydro Sponges! Can you believe that??? I am going to soon, now..ya think?

Happy New Year, Sir!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_6_22.gif

Marie~

( dont forget to come back and tell me what worms to med with!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_7_207.gif)

White Worm
12-25-2005, 06:32 AM
Marie, I believe a good QT would be 1 dose metro, 1 dose prazi, 1 week high temp around 91-92. Possibly 1 dose PP. Everyone has different QT process. Maybe we will here of some different routes. Please,,anyone,,let me know if this sounds like a good process. Some also put one of their original discus in with the new ones for an additional 2-4 weeks just to make sure all is well.

White Worm
12-25-2005, 06:33 AM
One other thing, I've heard that epsom salt for 24 - 48 hours prior to meds or qt helps. Anyone else agree?

Kindredspirit
12-25-2005, 06:47 AM
[CENTER]
Some also put one of their original discus in with the new ones for an additional 2-4 weeks just to make sure all is well.

Mike, all those doses are back to back?? I am hella tired, so i will talk bout that later....Hey.... You say that people put one of their orginal discus in with the new ones to make sure all is okay after the qt?

sooooooooo it would be like a gennie pig? ( i know that is spelled wrong, but it isnt in my spell check thingy on aol, dayumit!!) But what if things are not okay??? I love my discus i got from Cary, Mike!! They are so beautiful~umm...I'm thinkin...no...lol!!

I don't like that idea, Mikey....http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_46.gif

Can't we think of something else???

Marie

I am going to bed, Santahttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_27_3.gif

White Worm
12-25-2005, 06:56 AM
There is always different routes to take, we will see what others come up with. Usually some water changes in between meds. Good night

Jarrod
12-25-2005, 07:19 AM
Marie go ahead and get the 55...more room and all...

Jarrod