PDA

View Full Version : Question about our new Wild

ecrew
12-25-2005, 03:40 PM
Hi everyone!

We purchase a Wild Green at an lfs on Thursday. We put him in our hospital tank with our SS. He did beautifully!!! He started terrorizing the SS though after a day. I got concerned because we had moved the SS from our community tank because he was being bullied so bad and not eating. Then, the Wild started bullying him some. Anyway, we took a chance and moved the Wild to the community tank. Within 1 day, he had clamped fins and was darkening up. He tired to get in with the other 3 adults, but they wouldn't hear of it. The juv we have (VR) bullied the Wild terribly. The Wild is over 5" and the juv is maybe 3". I couldn't believe it. Anyway, it effected the Wild really bad. This morning I decided to move him back to the hospital tank with the SS. Within 1 minute (no exaggeration!!!!) his fins were up, his color was good and he was swimming around. So then, I tested the water parameters in both tanks.
Water parameters were the same. Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate - 10 (I know this is high), and PH - 7. The temp in the community tank is 86.5 and 89 in the hospital tank.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why the Wild behaved the way he did in the community tank but then perked up instantly (and I mean instantly) in the the hospital tank?

He was in ph6.4 and 84 temp at the lfs. We acclimated him when we got him home and like I said, he did just fine. Also, the tank at the lfs was same size as our hospital tank (30 gal) and only had smaller Discus in it. Our community tank is 75 gal and has 3 adults. I guess he was just too intimidated. ??????:confused:

thanks,
Liz

justafishguy
12-25-2005, 03:58 PM
I think he was just very stressed. The fish will change their behavior patterns over time and you may want to try putting him back in the community tank in a week or so and see how it goes.

ecrew
12-27-2005, 10:07 AM
Thanks!

He seems to be doing much better in the hospital tank. The SS seems to be getting used to him too. :)

RyanH
12-29-2005, 03:14 AM
Next time you have problems with bullying in your QT tank, I would suggest using a divider instead of breaking quarantine.

Especially with wild-caught Discus from an LFS. :(

JMHO
-Ryan

ecrew
12-30-2005, 10:48 AM
Ryan,

The wild is doing great in the QT/Hospital tank!!

Thanks,
Liz