PDA

View Full Version : daily water changes tough

dax29
12-26-2005, 10:01 PM
I see where a lot of people do daily water changes for juvenile discus. That is really tough when I'm out of town and my wife has to tend to 2 young kids (a 4 year old and a 20 month old). She doesn't like messing with any of my tanks anyway. I'm out of town sporadically during the year, but usually only a day or 2 at the time. Will several water changes a week be enough? I'm just feeling this whole discus thing out before I make a move. I won't be able to make any type of move towards any new fish projects for several months anyway. I just want to get as much info as possible before I make any decisions.

RyanH
12-26-2005, 10:48 PM
Welcome! :)

If you keep your tank clean (barebottom), reasonably stocked, and well-filtered, I don't think that 4-5 water changes a week would be a big deal. I will often change water every other day but do 80% at a time. This has worked out well for me in the past.

I would not feed meaty foods, such as beefheart, on days that you aren't changing water.

hth:)
-Ryan

dax29
12-26-2005, 10:57 PM
Very good advice! Thanks.

AADiscus
12-27-2005, 01:51 PM
I think they would be fine too. I do water changes everyday. Some people do them every other day/every 3 days, etc. I think as long as you told your wife to only feed them flakes, pellets, live food you will be ok. Do stay away from feeding beefheart if you are not going to beable to do a water change afterwards.

Now, if you were going to be gone for an extended amount of time, better get the wife use to using a water change hose. lol You could also get your 4 year old involved. Have them turn your water on/off. Help mom feed the fish.

dax29
12-27-2005, 03:22 PM
I think I can get her to do something like that. I'm quite a ways off from getting any discus. I'm just trying to see now if it is feasible. Thanks for the input!