PDA

View Full Version : Drilling glass

discus2010
12-31-2005, 12:48 AM
Does anyone know a good grass drilling company or, a or THE correct way to drill glass? Since i want to save on the overflow system?

CAGE-RATTLER
12-31-2005, 02:15 AM
Heres a link i found.

http://www.northcoastmarines.com/bulkhead_fittings.htm

The drill bits certainly arent cheap.

I believe most LFS will drill your tanks.

White Worm
12-31-2005, 03:28 AM
manual drainage to start with and automatic fill would be good unless you were planning many many tanks. Check out kennys setup. vacuum mechanically to drain and then auto fill with aged water. If you have never drilled glass, better get an expert. Maybe a window company.

jeep
12-31-2005, 11:29 AM
The directions on that link are pretty good. One step further would be to rent a drill press rather than a drill.

Cosmo
01-08-2006, 12:44 PM
I got my diamond tipped hole cutter at Jehmco, and it think it cost about $55 for the 1 1/8 (half inch bulkhead).. noticed they now have that line as well as two more expensive lines, but the one I bought worked fine

I made a "mold" out of plywood and clamped it to the glass w/ plastic clamps. The mold had a 1 1/8 hole where I wanted the bulkhead, and I also cut a water channel from the hole to the edge. Then I ran a hose to dump water right onto the bit and glass and kept a cold stream on it while I used my hand drill (using the weight of the drill only) to cut the holes. Took several breaks on each hole to let the glass cool off, and didn't lose a tank :)

Somewhere on here there's an old thread of mine with pics on how I did it.... if anyone's interested.. lol

A Drill press would be nice though :)

Jim