PDA

View Full Version : filtration for a 125gallon

cobaltblue
01-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Does anyone have experience or knowledge of the new fluval cannister filter? I think its the fx5. Its for big tanks..I was thinking of putting one on a new 125g tank i am picking up next week.??

I would also like input from those with 100g plus tanks on what you use for filtration for a bb discus tank of this size. I plan on potting a few plants and maybe adding some driftwood with jave fern or anubias attached to it. No substrate though. Can you just do sponge filters, or do you need more flow with a HOB or cannister type filter on it?? Thanks for your help.

susankay1
01-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Hi there!!! I have 2 bare bottom 125's in the living room. Each has 4 HydroV air driven sponges and an AquaClear 110/500. We use the AC mainly as a water polisher (filter floss only), the HydroVs carry the bioload nicely. Each tank has a large bio load as they each have over a dozen discus in them. My filters were seeded and fully functional before I increased the amount of fish that high though. Just keep an eye on your ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels. Oh and I'm really bad, they only get water changes about twice per week, but I do squeeze the sponges out in a bucket of tank water about 4 times per week. HTH Susan

mench
01-01-2006, 08:14 PM
I do basicly what Susan does in my 125's...some I have an AC500 with air sponges,other's I have 2 or 3 sponge filters in....

Mench

Timbo
01-01-2006, 08:41 PM
i swore i would never own another canister, had 4 different ones (fluvals included) - chances of leakage, hoses, AWFUL to clean, expensive

the AquaClears rock...simple, inexpensive, great turnover rate, effective and easy to clean

your mileage may vary however
Tim

cobaltblue
01-01-2006, 11:42 PM
Great info , keep it coming....thanks

roclement
01-02-2006, 12:48 AM
I have a hagen canister - the biggest one- that used to be sold at Petsmart, I paid $29 for it in ultra sale, someone had returned it and it works great, simple reliable, never has a problem, I added a set of bio-wheels on the return, spliced it and re-directed it- about $20 at thatfishplace. I also have my old reliable, a Aqua Clear 500 providing extra filtration.

All my filters run solely on sponges, I clean them once a month and do water changes 25% twice a week, that is the key for me water changes, all else is purely for asthetical reasons, like keeping detritus out of the tank.

This tank is 150gl with sand and rock sustrate, some amazon swords, 6 - 4 to 6inch discus, 4 adult angels, and one very large - 14inch long, 41/2 inch wide- redtail catfish, this one getting almost ready to be moved to his own 300gl rubbermaid pond! Everyone is healthy, happy, and breeding, even if the babies get eaten.

Hope this helps.

Rodrigo