PDA

View Full Version : Placement of heaters.

roclement
01-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Hello All

I posted in a sperate thread and tought I could ask for your opinnions here.

I moved my heaters to the lateral side glasses of the tank, I have them horizontal wich maximizes water flow, it serves 3 functions first it takes the visual clutter from the back of the tank wich is the main focus when looking at it

It also works as a convenient water level check for water changes, I set mine a little below 25% water level in my tank, now when I do WC, I let the tank drain untill just about 1/2 inch above the heaters, very easy and always consistent.

The last is the practical reason, because the heaters are horizontal, you expose a greater surface to water flow, when the heaters are vertical the hot water flows upward in a 1 to 1.5inch collum, when they are horizontal, you have the entire surface of the heater generating an evenly spread heat "curtain" through the side of the tank, since the heaters are at both ends of the tank you minimize cold spots and maintain temperature more evenly.

Works for me! Any oppinions?

Rodrigo

mench
01-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Sounds ok to me...mine I have laying on the bottom of my tanks

Mench

Timbo
01-01-2006, 08:32 PM
wouldnt you "minimize cold spots" better by having them on the bottom? (altho i think "cold spots" in an aquarium are an unlikely phenomenon anyway)

like the side glass idea tho Rodrigo

roclement
01-01-2006, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I am not sure if there is a cold spot in a fish tank with all the circulation, this was a concept that a certain "old breeder" passed on to me, he seemed to believe that there is such a thing...who am I to judge so I addapted to my own needs!
Anyway it works for me! Any other ideas or oppinios?

Rodrigo

CAGE-RATTLER
01-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Not sure if this theory is applicable in water or not ............ but ive always felt just like heat in your home .......... that heat rises so the closer to the bottom the better.

When i purchased my 100 gallon tank used ........... we used a large plastic trash can to bring the fish home in and we filled it with the tank water and floated the bio wheels in there too.

I wasnt ready to put the fish in the tank for about 24 hours so i put a heater and air stone in there with them. When i was ready to add the water ..................... the water temp was fine on the top but below the heater level ..... it was alot colder so i stirred it up and lowered the heater.

Im also planning on putting the heaters on the side glass at the bottom for astetic reasons. If they are longer than the sides ./....... i'll just angle them down. I can then use one sponge filter at each end .... close to the heaters to try and get as much water flow as i can near them.

Cosmo
01-01-2006, 11:54 PM
I have tanks in the fishroom with the heaters on the side walls instead of the back, mine are angled since they're longer than the tanks are wide which elimenates the WC advantage, but this way I can flip open the covers and adjust the heaters without putting my hands too far into the water.. I've noticed no difference in efficiency between side or back placement

Jim

White Worm
01-02-2006, 01:10 AM
I would think as long as you have good circulation in your tank from a hob filter and some sponge filters (kinda works like a ceiling fan in your house), it will evenly distribute the heat no matter where it is. If there is a difference, its probably minimal. it does depend on size of tank, circulation, heater size and number of heaters. jmo, Mike