PDA

View Full Version : How long shld intake be?

Kindredspirit
01-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Hey guys I am setting up my new 55gal and there is extra tubes to be attached to the intake filter.... How long should the intake actually be? Having it longer would be more effective?

Marie~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_81.gif

Terrybo
01-02-2006, 04:46 PM
If you are talking about an Aquaclear, use both tubes - then, (depending on the height of your tank) you can make a pretty sizeable water change without having to re-start the filter.

Terry

Dissident
01-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Personally I like them longer so when I do a WC I dont break the syphon and have to restart the filter.

Jeckel
01-02-2006, 04:47 PM
If you use the extension tubes the intake will be nearer to the bottom of the tank, and that's good because it will give better water circulation in your tank. Also, I'd say it's good to get as much separation between the intake and the outflow as possible, so your intake doesn't take in already-filtered water.

candyl70
01-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Hey Marie,
I remember reading somewhere, i think on my filter instructions, that the intake should be 4" away from the bottom. I think you get better results from it if you have it longer. It can suck up the junk easier.

hth,
Candy

traco
01-02-2006, 05:33 PM
I used both the tubes my AC 500 came with so I could do water changes, I don't have to worry about breaking the syphon. I keep my filter running when I do my w/c changes.

4 MORE SLEEPS! till Marie gets her babies (Friday, right?) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_66.gif

candyl70
01-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Lucky Barb!!! I can keep my canister filter on because it is long, but my aquaclear has to be started and stopped everytime. It didn't come with any extra tubes, so it is sorta short. Do they make or sell extra tubes for the aquaclear???

bikhu
01-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Hi,
I use 2 Aqua clear filters in most of my tanks. I like to have on intake very near the bottom ans the other about mid tank. I believe this allows me to filter the water at various levels of the water column. On the tanks that I do not have extra intake tubes on (Yes, you can buy the tubes themselves at most fish supply stores or sites) I keep them about midway down so as to maintain siphon during 50% water changes.
HTH
peter

candyl70
01-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Thanks Peter,
I am going to have to go shopping for some of those. My impeller needed a little kick in the butt from me last night. I think turning it on and off all the time isn't too good for it.

Timbo
01-02-2006, 05:54 PM
Do they make or sell extra tubes for the aquaclear???

http://www.elmersaquarium.com/p_aquaclear_power_filters.htm

there's one, ($3.50 -$6) you should be able to get them several places :)

bikhu
01-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Thanks Peter,
I am going to have to go shopping for some of those. My impeller needed a little kick in the butt from me last night. I think turning it on and off all the time isn't too good for it.
Remember to use pre-filters and clean out the whole filter periodically. This keeps the impeller from getting gunked up. When ding so I rinse the sponges in dechlorinated water so as to avoid killing off the beneficial bacteria. This is another reason why I run at least 2 filters on each tank. That way I can maintain biological filter load while maintaining the hardware.
Hope this is is helpful. And Candy... thanks for acknowledging my post.
peter

candyl70
01-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Hey Peter,
I respond to anyone who is helping out a fellow discus lover!! I have been doing my maintenance on my filters regularly. I have only had this filter up and running for about a month. I get a big bucket, fill it with lukewarm tap water, and dechlor it and then rinse out all the sponges. I haven't been able to find a prefilter that will fit the aquaclear as it is so small, but i do have them for my canister filter. That is the one i worry about most as it is easy to get gunk built up inside of it. The impeller on my aquaclear didn't have anything stuck inside of it, but i had to twirl it with my finger and then plug it back in to get it going. That was the first time that happened. Anyhow thanks for all the helpful advice, i do appreciate it greatly!!

Candy

Thanks for the link Timbo, I will have to go check it out!

White Worm
01-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Here is an idea for the prefilter,, let me know what you think,,just stuff some filter floss or similar into the intake. Works like prefilter for big stuff and isnt some ugly exterior looking thing.

candyl70
01-03-2006, 12:57 AM
Mike,
That looks like a good idea! How does it work for you??

Kindredspirit
01-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Terry~ This is true....for some reason I thought you were suppose to unplug your filters during wc....Now I wont anymore! Thanks, Terry!

Diss~ wow...think I'm outta the loop? Thanks!

Jeckle~ That is good to know as well...tell me, what about all your air bubbles? ...from the airstone? Cuz they seem to go right up that filter! Is that a prob?

Candy~ I talked to you already bout this!! lol!

Barb! you are a trip, woman!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_4_112.gifThanks for the reminder, I need to call Dan~ tank is already...i hope...need to test the parameters....I tell all the lil crumb crunchers here, cuz they were looking for the fish in it, and I said, 'there in there, they are called ghost fish! They are looking everywhere....lol! I know i owe you a few emails, babe.. i have them in my aol mail...!!

Peter~ Okay. okay.... I am outta the loop!! Will I ever get all this down??

[CENTER] Marie~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_8_38.gif ( I love Valentine's Day!)