PDA

View Full Version : Discus With Angelfish

steven_askham
01-04-2006, 06:10 PM
A

White Worm
01-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Popular consensus is no because angels are much more aggressive when it comes to feeding time. Some discus dont do well if they have to compete. Plus, angels carry some diseases that can kill discus. On the other hand, some have done it and had no problems. This subject has come up many times, maybe, brew can do a poll on angels with discus. I like that poll we did on the change for discus judging. Mike

pcsb23
01-04-2006, 07:32 PM
Steven, Agree with most of what Mike says, except I don't believe in the disease bit as much. Its true ANY fish can carry a disease or pathogen that can harm any other fish, thats the risk of fishkeeping! Persoanl experience is I wouldn't do it any more, I know some do with great success. If you really want to try it the small angels to start is ok, just keep an aye on the at feeding time and watch for the angels pairing and breeding then they do get aggressive!!
Paul.

heckel90
01-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Hi all,
I´m martin from buenos aires, sorry if my english is bad.

My client have 4 large angels and a huge discus and no problem at all.
all eat beefheart formula and the discus eat first because is the boss of the tank. one year has passed and no problem. and this discus is very healthly.
I think is a mith between angel and discus.
but if the discus is little and the angel are huge, I think there is problem for the discus.

bye

Bainbridge Mike
01-18-2006, 05:07 PM
I agree with Paul. I don't think there is anything to the disease myth (it is the same risk you run with mixing any type of fish). However, Unless you have full grown discus, feeding time will be a big problem because the angels are food hogs.

Mike

goheel
01-18-2006, 05:54 PM
I have an angelfish in my goldfish tank, and it doesn't try to hog the food.

hexed
01-18-2006, 07:19 PM
This has been an on going debate and each has his/her own opinion on the subject. I say, it is your tank and it is your choice. Like everyone stated so far, ANY fish can cause illness. I had a green spotted puffer in with my discus for a little over a year with no problems. No fins were bitten, but I had no snails either LOL!
I also had a bichir (dinosaur eel) with my discus as well and a male betta. The only fish I had a problem with was tetras, they always died on me :(
Please be sure to QT any fish for about 3-4 weeks before adding them to your tank. Again, I am not for nor against the angel myth, just believe that it is your tank and you should add whatever you want to it. ;)
Frank

JMArtist
01-18-2006, 07:51 PM
My personal belief is that if the tank is large enough, mixing Discus and Angels should be no problem at all.
What is large enough, I don't know, 75 gallons and up I suppose.
And about feeding, you think in the wild discus are separated by barriers so no other fish disturbs them while eating?
As far as disease goes, baloney, we QT Discus when adding new Discus to an already established Discus Tank, we QT every fish we add to the Discus Tank, so what's the difference? None.
If a hidden and unknown disease is going to carried by one kind of fish, it certainly can be carried by Discus as well.
Besides, these two breeds of fish are so well domesticated, angels more so because they have been bred in captivity longer, disease among them should be very low.

ShinShin
01-19-2006, 06:38 PM
I have, but will not again.

sean13
01-19-2006, 09:52 PM
I kept discus and angels with no problems for a year now.

architect1
01-24-2006, 12:34 AM
I have heard alot of storries about discus and angels are not good. I had a 55g I had 7 full grown angels In a wood with plants in the tank. I then Bought my first discus 7inches Blue Turquoise. I then put it in the tank 140$ later expencive expariment But well worth it. The discus wouldn't eat at all because the angles ate it and pushed her away. MY alfa angel made sure of it. Then i saw a dermatic change the discus realized she was alot Bigger body wize then they where. She then puts everyone in order and she became the alfa. So Now the discus is the alfa and the angel that usto be the alfa is now in second and I sware if they where the same species They would of matted. Thats my experiance with them together. I say your tank try it for a week if they get along then good if not bring them back to the store.

DiscusCavallero
01-24-2006, 04:01 AM
I would recommend discus with Angels, only with these parameters. Angels are smaller than the discus and that you get them from a known breeder...What i heard is that the angels from asia carry this unknown disease so dont really trust the angels from your local petshop.

tdr1919
02-16-2006, 06:05 PM
I have had angels with Discus for over 3 years, they angels leave the Discus
alone, but they are pigs so you have to make sure you give plenty of food.
My Angels (2) do not eat beefheart! so I dont have a problem with feeding,
the angels stick to themselves, and leave my juvie discus alone.

Tom

hexed
02-16-2006, 06:35 PM
If they are QTed I cannot see the problem. When I QT I treat my fish with external and internal meds and deworm. I cannot see how angels can harm a discus if this is done. I have never heard of a bug that cannot be killed :)
Frank

JeffreyRichard
02-17-2006, 11:52 AM
Popular consensus is no because angels are much more aggressive when it comes to feeding time. Some discus dont do well if they have to compete. Plus, angels carry some diseases that can kill discus. On the other hand, some have done it and had no problems. This subject has come up many times, maybe, brew can do a poll on angels with discus. I like that poll we did on the change for discus judging. Mike

Hey Mike, do you keep angels or have you kept them in the past? I ask because because I have ... through MY experience (which is 15 years breeding and comercially selling angelfish, so I've personally kept more than 20,000 angelfish) I have concluded that angelfish are generally more aggressive than discus at feeding time, BUT not "MUCH" more so ... the word MUCH is a bit of an exageration ... I've also kept discus which were more aggressive than angelfish, so this is not an absolute rule ...

Plus, angels carry some diseases that can kill discus.

Do you have scientific evidence of this? If not, STOP PASSING THIS ON!!!!!!!

Just because someone says something like this, it is irresponsible to report this, because readers THINK this must be true

THIS IS WHY PEOPLE ASK "is the myth true ..." BECAUSE UNIFORMED PERPETUATE THIS CRAP/NONSENSE ......... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

JeffreyRichard
02-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Steve, read my thread in this section (do a search)

tdr1919
03-04-2006, 10:35 PM
About two years ago, I had a setup with 5 angels and 4 discus, I never had a problem, in fact a pair of angels were breeding in the tank and my discus were having caviar for breakfast!

Just this evening I was watching one of my juvies pigeon bloods (2.5") rip a chunk of frozen blood worms right out of the mouth of an adult angel,

If you quarantine the angels like you do for your discus you should not have any problems and it is interesting to see the angels & the discus together.

- Tom