PDA

View Full Version : gorami

dave1
01-06-2006, 11:03 PM
will 2 golden goramies e alright with discus thank you. dave

justafishguy
01-06-2006, 11:42 PM
My past experience with goramis I would say no. They are too aggressive IMO, yet some keep angelfish with discus too. Some smaller goramis might be ok, yet the large ones could cause a problem.

CAGE-RATTLER
01-07-2006, 03:44 AM
I have a blue and a gold gorami in my community tank with 2 discus and the goramis are the least of my worries.

They dont bother anyone except themselves.

In fact i read somewhere that they come from the same waters as discus too.

My blue gorami is about 4 inches and the gold around 3.

If there supposed to be agressive .... i sure havent seen it.

justafishguy
01-07-2006, 09:24 AM
That is interesting Cage...yet a good point that most species only show aggression towards eachother and not others.

JMArtist
01-07-2006, 09:41 AM
Gourami's in their many sizes and colors are widespread throughout South East Asia, the area to which they are native to.
They enjoy soft water and a wide pH range, from 5.5 to 8.0, temps 72ºF to 81ºF (22-27°C)

Maintenance:
A hardy fish that will adapt to many conditions. Keep them in pairs and the fish will display to each other and show off their best colors. Keep in a planted community aquarium with many plants including floating varieties. Provide hiding places for the female. Tank mates should be slower moving peaceful species and generally no barbs or other fin nippers that will make short work of the fins and feeler threads. Provide good filtration with a slow water flow (like from a sprayer) so as not to disturb any Bubblenest. They are Omnivorous and will take live, flake, frozen as well as vegetable based food.
Typical Bubble nest builder, where a large nest is constructed below floating or among plants.
They will except live, frozen and flake foods.
They do poccess small teeth like structures enabling them to grasp small pebbles in their mouths to eat algea off of, which hardly makes them a pariah.
They are none aggressive towards other fish.

So, yeah, you can keep them with Discus, assuming they can stand the higher temps.

JMArtist
01-07-2006, 09:45 AM
PS:
I would assume you are not reffering to the Giant Gourami which could grow in size that would almost dwaf a Discus.

AmazonRainbows
01-18-2006, 12:47 AM
I own a couple of pearl gouramis with my discus for 6 weeks now. Until now they have been very peacefull but just before I have to get ride of 2 couple of Dwarf gouramis (Red fire) because both of them elect to build a nest on each side of the thank. During the time they build the nest and after they spawn they where very agressive protecting their own teritory witch was half of the thank. All other fish where ping pong between those agressive male. Other then that my pearl stay very close to my Discus when I feed them with blood worm but they never compete to be first to eat the food so my Discus are always the first feed even the smallest one (2").

ShinShin
01-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Yes, Southeast Asia is their natural range.

JeffreyRichard
01-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Yes, Southeast Asia is their natural range.

I have found that most gouramis are indeed peaceful when not spawning and enjoy similar water parameters to discus. I have kept and bred Pearl Gouramis (Trichogaster Leerii) for years with both Discus and angels without any problems ... I find them very peaceful and beautiful.

Dwarf Gouramis (Colisa Lalia) are another fav of mine ... I just picked up several wild males and hope to spawn them soon.

Dwarf Honey Gouramis (Colisa Chuna) are also nice ... they will stay really small (no bigger than 2 inches) and males become vividly colored when they spawn.

I would stay away from Paradise Fish and the various forms of Blue/3 spot gouramis (Blue, Opiline, Platinum, Gold) ... they can be more aggresive and get fairly big.

A realy big gourami is the Snakeskin (Trichogaster ???) gets up to 10 inches. Dispite it's size, they are VERY peaceful. I've never kept with discus but I have 2 8 inch females with my Angelfish breeders in a 125 gallon.

Anyone really up for a challenge might want to try Chocolate Gouramis (Sphaerichthys osphromenoides). They need VERY soft/low pH water (zero degrees hardness/under 5.5 pH) ... they may do well with wild discus kept in theses conditions.

Anyway, I highly recommend (some) gouramis as tankmates.

Jeff

Bainbridge Mike
01-20-2006, 05:21 PM
I have kept gouramis with angels before. They usually work out ok, but I had one gourami that relentlessly harrassed all the angels--even ones much bigger than the gourami.

MW

billeagan
01-20-2006, 06:06 PM
Interesting... I tried keeping gourami's with my discus. I kept losing the gourami's apparently due to the higher temps...

Are you guys keeping the gouramis successfully at 86-88 degrees?

Bainbridge Mike
01-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Not me--I've only kept Gouramis with Angels in water 78 to 82 degrees f.

Mike

ShinShin
01-23-2006, 02:04 AM
I am courious, why so high temps? 86-88F seems excessive