PDA

View Full Version : serpae tetras

Fresh Fish
01-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Hi all, just wondering if a school of a dozen serpae tetras will work with discus? are the known to be nippers?? i have 5 discus, 6 cories, now looking for a school and i like the serpase. thanks. FF

cobaltblue
01-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Hi FF, Ive only kept rummynose, cardinals, and black neons with discus successfully. Sorry, never tried the serpaes, and i dont even remember any threads talking about them. Hopefully someone else here will chime in.

pcsb23
01-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Serpae's should be fine, they are a little fast swimming but shouldn't be too much for discus. I've had them before and not had problems. If you need to raise the temp much above 90 for treatment you may find they suffer.
Paul.

CAGE-RATTLER
01-07-2006, 01:45 PM
I have 6 red serpae tetras in my 100 gallon community tank and i love them.

Great bright red color and they are fine with the discus.

I dont think they are fast swimmers at all and they roam all over the tank ....... mainly at mid and lower level.

Wish i had more but everytime i go to my LFS ...... they never have anymore.

pcsb23
01-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Cage, they are nice, the only ones I've had are the bleeding heart ones, they weren't mega fast just darted around a bit, didn't strees the discus though! btw one nice looking angel and tank, your getting me jealous now!!
Paul.

CAGE-RATTLER
01-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Cage, they are nice, the only ones I've had are the bleeding heart ones, they weren't mega fast just darted around a bit, didn't strees the discus though! btw one nice looking angel and tank, your getting me jealous now!!
Paul.

Thanx!

Here is a link i posted right after i set the tank up that has a couple more pics of the serpaes and angel.

The 2 discus are definately of poor quality but they came with the tank.

I did just notice looking at those pics again that my red marlboro's shape has gotten a whole lot rounder since then.

I'll have to post a before and after pic.

Kinda surprized me how much better he looks now and how much rounder he got in the 3 months ive had him. And he was 2 years old when i got him.

They must have been underfed.

By the way ..... ive been slowly taking things out of the tank to make cleaning much easier. Especially that coral .......... that came out real quick .... lol. The wife and kid put all that stuff in there and every week i take something out ...... lol.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=46008

pcsb23
01-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Yep, sometimes they think ornaments add something to a tank!! Coral in a discus tank eh?? Nowt but trouble no wonder it went quickly!!

Those cats, do they know a good number!!

As for your marlborough, good food and good water can do wonders.

I'm even more jealous now, lovely tank and cab its in.
Paul.

ShinShin
01-07-2006, 07:28 PM
I wouldn't.

CAGE-RATTLER
01-08-2006, 03:49 AM
Thanx Paul ........ Much appreciated!

Really it was my 1st tank.

The wife and kids had a few small tanks with various fish and we decided to get a large tank to put everything in one tank.

Not sure if that was a good idea or not now ............. since the tank came with 2 discus and some books on discus ........... ive been hooked ever since ..... lol.

Just put up a 55 & 29 and just picked up two 40 gallon breeders tonight ...... along with 20 small fry from a local......... lol. I took a trip to see Hans place today and all i can say is OMG His discus are HUGE and GORGEOUS!!!

His 4 month old discus dwarf my 2 year olds!!!

Now i know what REAL discus are supposed to look like!!

I want two 6 inchers to put in my breeding tank bad now!!

What have i started!!!! lol

pcsb23
01-08-2006, 07:15 AM
Cage, I know what you mean I am looking at a fish rack, one of the UK breeders has for sale, five tanks 3 breeder, 2 grow outs and a sump filter, damn its tempting!!

One of the people I get my discus from won 6 awards at the firts UK discus show, man do they grow nice fish!!

Still at least we know the standard now!!

Post some pics when done.
Paul.