PDA

View Full Version : wet/dry filters

misterthews
01-08-2006, 04:25 AM
anyone have any experience with them? Are they a hassel to mantian? is the filteration really good? how exactly do they work, do you need to add anything special in your tank? should i not hassel with one and just get a hob filter?

THX

Tony_S
01-08-2006, 09:39 AM
anyone have any experience with them? Are they a hassel to mantian?

Once they are set up and running, they're no more of a hassle to mantain than a HOB.

is the filteration really good?

Excellant! Typically due to the fact that they bacteria have a larger surface area to live on, and oxygenation of the bacteria is much more successful.

how exactly do they work, do you need to add anything special in your tank? should i not hassel with one and just get a hob filter?

Normaly, the water will exit the fish tank via a "bulkhead" that is attached to a hole that is drilled through the bottom of a tank. Some tanks will have a corner "overflow" in them, some tanks will have a simple piece of pipe attached to the bulkhead that rises to the desired water level that the water then flows into, and down to the filter itself. Another type (that Im not experienced with) is an exterior overflow box...basically exterior syphon system.
Once the water leaves the tank it travels down a pipe or hose to a filter pad, or box that filters out course debris or detritus. Then the water is either "dripped" or "sprayed" over the desired Bacterial medium. ie. Bio balls, lava rock, some even use hair curlers....then pumped BACK into the aquarium itself.
Clear as mud? Its actually a fairly simple system in its most basic form.

The main reason wet dry filters are prefered by some is because they usually have a much lager bacterial bed that ISNT submerged in water. Because it isnt submereged, oxygenation is much higher. The bacterial bed is only kept "wet" by the spraybar or drip bed. Another great thing about them is heaters(eyesore) and other tank accessories can be kept in the "sump" with the water pump.

Tony

billeagan
01-08-2006, 11:12 AM
What size tank are you running? Have you considered a bio wheel?

justafishguy
01-08-2006, 12:07 PM
I have used wet/dry for about 10 years. Have had no problems, easy to clean, easy to maintain, plus the sump hides your heaters and such. I use a Amircale Wet/dry but there are lots of good ones out there. If you have time I would try to build one yourself. It is not that hard and saves a lot of money. Basically mine works off bioball, as the water is dripped through a filter cloth it passes through the the balls. This adds a lot of aeration too.

misterthews
01-08-2006, 02:42 PM
i am running a 75 gallon...yes i have considered a bio wheel..i also have thought of just running a bio whell and a canister, but dont know what to do...i asked this question becuase i have herd a lot about these filters and how good they work i just didn't know quite how..so yeah.

justafishguy
01-08-2006, 03:50 PM
Just thought I would add that if you plan to keep live plants a wet/dry is not the way to go. You lose too much Co2 with the dripping water.

diablocanine
01-11-2006, 10:51 AM
Did I see this on another forum?

misterthews
01-11-2006, 11:07 AM
yeah you prob did.. i posted it on a few different forums. Wanted to get as much input as possible.