PDA

View Full Version : discus keeps on eating there own eggs

robust discus
01-12-2006, 12:34 AM
Recent just bought two adult discus at a local store. They paired up and laid eggs. Yes, they are fertile, I even seen them hatch and become wiggler. But, at the end they are all eaten. They laid egg ever ten days are so and the process keeps on repeating. I was trying to artificially raised them at one time, but no luck. Lack of knowledge and imformation to go by. Help needed!

Ryan
01-12-2006, 12:48 AM
Sometimes it takes practice before discus pairs get the parenting thing right.

Are they in with other fish? Sometimes leaving them in a community tank will strengthen the parental instinct because the parents learn to defend the eggs and fry from predators in the tank.

How many times have they spawned for you? I would leave them alone for now and let them keep practicing. If they are a young pair, they may just be getting started.

Ryan

robust discus
01-12-2006, 01:06 AM
Yes, they are in a 90 gal tank and with 2-3" Blue Diamond. They do fend them off from their spawning site. They spawned six time.

White Worm
01-12-2006, 02:19 AM
After six times, it may be time to move them to their own breeder tank 20g-29g. Provided you are ready for fry and have the room. Even after you move them, it could take them 15-20 times before they get it right. They may never get it right. Some people end up remixing for a different pair later. They are probably continuing to eat the eggs because of the protection instinct from the others in the tank. Good luck and keep us updated

Robo
01-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Wow! This sounds a bit scary. Do you reckon there's any chance of survival (meaning from eggs to free-swimming fry) in a planted community tank? Has there anyone experienced with success?

White Worm
01-12-2006, 11:26 PM
I dont think I have heard of anyone doing it successfully, it is just too hard for the pair to protect all of those fry from other fish. Other discus see them as snack food, they think it is live shrimp (gulp). A discus can do 0-60 in about a second and snatch a poor unsuspecting fry. Maybe someone has but I havent heard of anyone yet.

robust discus
01-12-2006, 11:58 PM
That's exactly what i am thinking. I already purchased a 65gal for them in the Boxing Day sale. I am thinking of buying more discus down the road. I don't know where i can get good quality discus living in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.