PDA

View Full Version : Internal wet/dry

sam_y
01-12-2006, 02:19 AM
Hi everyone,

Can someone give me suggestions/plans on building an internal wet/dry filter for a 100 gallon tank? I'm technically challenged, so simpler is definitely better.

Thanks for any help!

Sam

Timbo
01-12-2006, 03:05 AM
internal? why would you want an internal wet/dry? that would take up alot of tank space and look ugly too.

i'm sure you mean external wet/dry, no?

ronrca
01-12-2006, 11:07 AM
I have found this site really good for ideas. The simplest wet/dry is using another tank such as a 30G, put some dividers in and a pump and you have a wet/dry.

http://melevsreef.com/links.html

If you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask! :thumbsup:

sam_y
01-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the link! Looks like some great info there on building sumps. I've bookmarked it for future reference.

For now, however, I just want to build an INternal wet/dry (i.e. in the back corner of the tank). I think it'll be a lot simpler than building a sump and drilling the tank. I might lose about 10 gals of water in my 100 gal tank, but I think the benefit of a wet/dry outweighs that disadvantage.

Sam

babyjess210
01-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Sam
I have seen an internal wet/dry filter on ebay. It's a complete unit that you just throw in the back of the tank. I try to search for it again but found nothing. If I find a pic I will post it here.
Kenny

ronrca
01-12-2006, 05:45 PM
no need to drill your tank! You have to use the right overflow device. I actually have not seen an internal overflow and am interested in the concept. I suppose it would be very similar to an external but on a smaller scale. I would like to see a pic for sure Kenny! ;)

babyjess210
01-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Ron
Yes I just seen it yesterday and thought it was interesting but I think the auction ended. Try to picture a acrylic tank with a built in wet/dry and cut out the entire wet/dry unit (yes cut a hole in the tank) and place that unit in another tank. Well they are selling that unit for about $100.00 and CLAIM that you can just throw it in your 100 gallon tank. The top has a bunch of slot below the water level (I assume water level is not adjustable) and that how the water overflow onto the drip plate.
HTH
Kenny

CAGE-RATTLER
01-12-2006, 07:34 PM
I was thinking of trying to make a wet/dry HOB for my 100.

Maybe something long and narrow so not to have to pull the tank awy from ther wall very far.

Anyone ever seen something like that?

Or is that more or less what a regular HOB is?

sam_y
01-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Hi guys,

I've found a marine LFS that uses these in all their tanks with good success. I'll try and take a pic next time for those who are wondering how they look/work.

Thanks for the posts!

Sam

babyjess210
01-13-2006, 12:35 PM
I was thinking of trying to make a wet/dry HOB for my 100.

Maybe something long and narrow so not to have to pull the tank awy from ther wall very far.

Anyone ever seen something like that?

Or is that more or less what a regular HOB is?

Cage
here ya go

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquarium-Filter-Amiracle-SL-15-Hang-On-NEW-in-Box_W0QQitemZ7736832865QQcategoryZ46310QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

korbi_doc
01-31-2006, 11:03 AM
:D Cage & Jess, I love that idea of HOB wet/dry, looks very neat & compact...just not the price..that seller is very near me, wonder why this is such a hard to get unit? I have a large wet/dry by Amiracle from my SW days, & plan to set it up in Tn someday, but this HOB intrigues me, maybe I'll try it one day unless I get ambitious & make my own with the plastic containers, doesn't look too hard & will definitely cost less...
Cage, why couldn't you build your own HOB with the acrylic directions that Marc gives in the other link that Ronrca included??