PDA

View Full Version : Power strip with individual on/off switches?

CAGE-RATTLER
01-12-2006, 08:31 PM
With my new Shop light that doesnt have an on/off switch ......... it is starting to be a Pain to keep unplugging it.

And also unplugging my heater on my storage tanks .

Is there a power strip somewhere that has switches for each thing plugged in??

CAGE-RATTLER
01-12-2006, 09:05 PM
OK i guess i answered my own question .... lol.

Just found one at tigerdirect.com for $14.99

But i think i'll have a look at some local stores before ordering.

White Worm
01-12-2006, 11:33 PM
You could always use a plug in timer, it uses one spot on the strip and you can plug three things into it or just one, then you can set certain times for things to come on and go off. Set it to go off in the evening and come on in the morning before you approach the tank.

Kap
01-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Cage--that looks like a neat power strip --could be quite helpful during tank cleaning chores and turning off a heater, for example.

CAGE-RATTLER
01-13-2006, 12:54 AM
Cage--that looks like a neat power strip --could be quite helpful during tank cleaning chores and turning off a heater, for example.

Exactly ........... thats what i want it for!

And for the lights too

I like that the on/off switches light up when in ON position too. Might help when forgetting to turn things back on.

David_Hui
01-13-2006, 02:34 AM
Do you have the link I tried to search for it on Tigerdirect and couldn't find it?

Thanks

CAGE-RATTLER
01-13-2006, 02:41 AM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=914023

Dont run them out of stock before i order mine .... lol.

Shipping is $7 for one of them so im gonna look around locally before i order.

David_Hui
01-13-2006, 02:45 AM
Thanks Cage!!

CAGE-RATTLER
01-13-2006, 02:56 AM
Just found it here even cheaper, shipping cheaper too.

$18.30 including shipping but i'll probably go with tigerdirect as ive ordered alot of PC parts from them and had no problems and ive never heard of this place and i dont even see an address listed in the contact area ........... that always worrys me.

http://memorydepot.biz/details.asp?id=ULT31570&currencychange=USD#

They have a canadian section also for those from there.

CAGE-RATTLER
01-13-2006, 04:41 AM
Geeez ........... Im definately getting one of these things.

I just did a 50% WC and forgot to turn off the heater in my storage tank untill i heard it cracking :shocked:

I hope its ok ............. waiting for it to cool down before fillig it back up.

Now with this power strip and a sign near the pump switch to TURN OFF HEATER BEFORE STARING PUMP ........... this might not happen ............ hopefully :rolleyes:

Timbo
01-13-2006, 07:48 AM
i repair pc's on the side and i use tigerdirect.ca all the time; good prices and service

mite order me a couple them bad boys too *edit* just ordered 3 (they are 20.99 CDN here)

tpl*co
01-13-2006, 12:09 PM
I need one of those too! (OK more than one) Does it surge protect also?

(OK never mind it surge protects, LOL)

Why on the Tiger site do they say 6 outlets when the title says "7 outlet"???

Tina

markh
01-13-2006, 12:39 PM
I lost a heater in my storage tank too. I don't worry about it now. I put the heater on the standard mount on the bottom, put 4 2" pieces of pvc pipe to hold a flourescent light grid above it, finally I placed my pump(powerhead) on top of it. It leaves the two inches of water in the bottom at all times protecting the heater. It works quick, cheap and safely.

korbi_doc
01-13-2006, 04:16 PM
I lost a heater in my storage tank too. I don't worry about it now. I put the heater on the standard mount on the bottom, put 4 2" pieces of pvc pipe to hold a flourescent light grid above it, finally I placed my pump(powerhead) on top of it. It leaves the two inches of water in the bottom at all times protecting the heater. It works quick, cheap and safely.

Mark, that's a really great idea!! Have to put that one in memory!! I've been using the titanium or steel heaters in the storage tubs, but am still careful not to run'm dry; can't really do that tho, cuz the pump will not completely empty the tub. :thumbsup: The steel/titanium heaters really work well for me, & now most of my tanks have these also. The only glass heaters that've lasted well for me are the Visi-therm, but I destroyed 2 cuz I was sloppy & forgot they were out of the water, lol. Dottie ;)

CAGE-RATTLER
01-13-2006, 05:56 PM
I need one of those too! (OK more than one) Does it surge protect also?

(OK never mind it surge protects, LOL)

Why on the Tiger site do they say 6 outlets when the title says "7 outlet"???

Tina

Theres 7 outlets but only 6 with individual switches.

Cosmo
01-13-2006, 10:55 PM
If you heard the heater cracking.. I'd think twice about keeping it around. Even if it worked, it's been compromised and could cause you problems down the road.. several like Ebo's or Stealth heaters have auto off for low water levels, and are practically unbreakable due to the material they're made out of.

The power strip is neat.. never seen one like that before :) Probably better off going with the timer for the lights though, helps to establish a "routine" for the fish when the lights are on and off consistently

JIm

CAGE-RATTLER
01-13-2006, 11:20 PM
If i ever get a routine down i may go that route but as of now ..... i have no routine ... lol.

Im a night owl and my pffice is where the tanks are so it makes it difficult.

I didnt hear the heater cracking .... i heard a crackling sound ......... may have just been the water cooking of of it.

I caught it pretty quick so hopefully its ok ........... and since its on my storage tank im not that worried about it.