PDA

View Full Version : question about sponge filter

sean13
01-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Is it okay to have a 29 gallon tank with a spnge filter and aqua clear. There are 2 angelfish in there and a discus,would 1 sponge filter without a airstone be a problem.:D

Sean

White Worm
01-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Sounds fine as long as it has already been seeded and you have cycled your tank. It would be a good idea to use a sponge filter that is rated a little larger than the aquarium it is in. For instance, use the 40g sponge filter for your tank. Bigger the better for good bacteria growth. Show us some pics of your setup and you may want to add more info to help us help you. How long the tank has been running, when you put the fish in, water parameters, bare bottom or substrate, etc. One more thing, keep an eye on the angels, they tend to be pretty aggressive and one discus may suffer against 2 angels. Make sure the discus gets his fair share of the food and doesnt have to compete for it. Discus do better in groups of 6-7 but given your tank size, 3-4 is about right. If you want to keep discus, you may want to look into purchasing a larger tank, maybe around 55g (6-7 discus). You may want to think about a discus only tank. Just some things to think about for the future.

Kap
01-12-2006, 11:21 PM
It sounds like it would be OK. Is the AC large enough to handle 29g? Probably even the smallest one would work because you have a sponge filter in there, too. What size is it? Is the setup new or established? Have you had any problems keeping the water clear? Have you tested for ammonia? Any problems with the fish? Are they young or adults? Do you do regular water changes and how much? The discus would probably do better with some other discus rather than angel fish, by the way. As you can tell from my response, it is hard from the information you have given to provide a specific yes or no.

These are just my opinions, and I am sure there are others on this board who can give better answers.

Good luck with your fish!

sean13
01-13-2006, 08:54 AM
The ac can handle up to 40 gallons so I keep it on low.The tank been running for a year now.No problems keeping water clean or with the fish.I had the angels for a year and the discus from the summer.i do a 50% waterchange every day or around 50-60% every other day.Also have gravel.No problem with the discus having to fight for food, he/she is the boss of the tank. im also thinking about getting a 50g in the sumer for discus. lucky for me, a breeder live across the street,he is the one who gave me 3 angels and 2 discus.hope this ansewrs most of your questions.

sean