PDA

View Full Version : Black paint in tank

scans
01-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Is there a paint that would be safe to use on the PVC fitting INSIDE of the tank. i want to paint the outlets black to hide them.

Any ideas?

korbi_doc
01-17-2006, 11:41 AM
Scans, don't think any paint would do it, unless you can find a special marine paint that is used safely under water.... perhaps you can find a black plastic or rubber wrap that would suffice. You could cut up some black foam filter material or just something like black silk or other like material; I don't know what black electrical tape would do in water, maybe someone else has better ideas.... Dottie

Timbo
01-17-2006, 11:49 AM
dont use just any marine paint! i have a sailboat and the bottom paint i use is highly toxic...contains large amounts of copper to fend off plant growth, etc. on the hull.

scans
01-17-2006, 12:08 PM
I was hoping someone had used the sweetwater (http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/11733/cid/3035) paints inside a tank.

pcsb23
01-17-2006, 12:52 PM
Scans, don't use marine paint it will kill your fish as Timbo says. Can you not change the pipes to black plastic?? Might be a dumb question but....
Paul.

JMArtist
01-17-2006, 01:17 PM
I did a quick search online and found this.
Aquamaster USA offers Flexable BLACK PVC Piping.
Check it out, it just might be what you are looking for.
Here is the link: http://www.aquamasters.com/flexpvc.htm

I myself would not paint anything that is going inside the fish tank.
I know some of those goofy tank decorations are painted.
I would guess they use some sort of acrylic paint for them, as it dries like a plastic.
So an acrylic spray paint might work, but I wouldn't know if anything would leach into the tank. My guess it probably would not.
Your only other problem might be getting he paint to stick and not peel off after being underwater for an extended period of time. A light sanding and acrylic primer might be needed.
Do not use a acrylic latex house paint.
Any type of marine paint is a no no.
There is always Rust-Oleum Paint, but again, I wouldn't know if it would leach anything into the water.
You can always contact the company, they might be able to tell you.

scans
01-17-2006, 01:18 PM
I would if I could find black pvc locally.

scans
01-17-2006, 01:21 PM
Damn I'm quick...

http://www.atozsupply.com/Black_Fittings_C15.cfm

dax29
01-25-2006, 04:12 PM
I have used the Sweetwater Epoxy Paint for stuff in my tank with no problems. I painted the uptake tubes on my AC 500s and my canister filter uptake. These have been in my Malawi tank for 3 months and I haven't noticed any problems. I had to buy a gallon so I have enough to paint hundreds of uptake tubes. It cost me about $60.00. It was a pain and very expensive for what I needed but it seemed the safest alternative for the look I was trying to achieve.

scans
01-25-2006, 04:26 PM
Thanks... I may have my plumber buddy look for the parts I need in black PVC to save a few bucks.

Mike

RandalB
01-25-2006, 05:49 PM
Krylon Fusion Paint is aquarium Safe once dry...

I've used it in Reef Tanks...

Randalb

scans
01-25-2006, 06:58 PM
Very cool... and I think they have it at walmart.