PDA

View Full Version : Would you change water if they laid eggs?

robust discus
01-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Yes, my discus laid eggs again! I do, do water change regularly. Monday,Wednesday,Friday and occasionally Saturday or Sunday depending on my time. Usually 10% change. Well water change affect the eggs or scare the parent?

White Worm
01-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Leave em alone, no water changes and no pictures if you want them to continue. JMO...You say again...what happened the first time?

Greg Richardson
01-14-2006, 12:27 AM
I change water. I know 95% more than likely say not to.

My reason why I do opposite is this.

I think the benefits of clean water far out weigh any chance of spooking your discus.

My main set of rules if u want to call it that is my Discus adopt to my way of doing things not the other way around.

Another perspective is.............

Most breeders blame wc for eating of eggs thus no longer do them.

Okay, if that is the case does that mean their discus must associate wc as a bad event?

I don't know for sure.

I do know I watch the breathing on my pair and have noticed no increase at all.

No stress movements during wc.

I think parents would rather be bothered for the short time for new water than not.

They look at it as a good thing.

Find out what works for you.

lauren0626
01-14-2006, 12:33 AM
The eggs were laid yesterday and I changed 25% water just now. The parents seemed ok with it. The vacuumming didn't really bother them, either.
I have to change the water because they still eat whatever food I put in their tank. And so they produced lots of wastes!
Just because they spawned donesn't mean they have to live with poor water condition. Am I right?;)

lauren0626
01-14-2006, 12:39 AM
I totally agree with Greg! Do what you need to do on a regular base and the fish will adapt to your way.
Maybe we should offer some treats after each water change just so the fish knows good things happen after it? Aren't we doing this to our dogs? It's called positive enforcement. :D Maybe someday I can teach my discus to do some tricks.:D

tpl*co
01-14-2006, 12:59 AM
I'm having a fish orgy going on in my tank right now (three pairs breeding) and I did a water change and it didn't slow anybody down in the least!:p .

I don't know how well these eggs are going to do since I haven't adjusted my hardness down yet, fingers crossed.

Tina

Kenny's Discus
01-14-2006, 01:19 AM
Tina - so you have 3 pairs of eggs in the community tank? WOW!!!!! Congrats! lol

I'm interested to know what are these 3 pairs made out of. (strains) Tell me exactly the M & F combination of the 3 pairs?

Thanks,
Kenny

Kenny's Discus
01-14-2006, 01:21 AM
Don't worry about it Tina I just saw your other post. I'm going over there now!

Kenny

Green Country Discus
01-14-2006, 01:34 AM
If you are doing daily WC's, the pair is use to the disturbance and just keep it up. The last thing you want at this stage is for your tank to start getting dirty and water conditions to be anything but pristine. Cleaning the tank right after the fry free swim is more dificult due to the fry being everywhere. I normally WC my breeders 30-50% daily and after eggs are layed I reduce to 10% but continue to keep things clean. Pairs with eggs don't want or need a lot of food so cut back on the food to them. This will also help keep things as they should be.

Greg Richardson
01-14-2006, 01:46 AM
Lauren.
Maybe someday I can teach my discus to do some tricks.

Mine have a favorite trick they do.

Only problem is it's not the one I'd like them to do.

Immediately after a wc they all start pooping.

I mean it's just a parade going on.

One after the other.

Looks like World War One dropping the bombs.

The whole time they are looking at me.

Okay, truth is they laughing at me.

Think I'm going to need to go to therapy. Poop complex.

tpl*co
01-14-2006, 01:50 AM
2 pair in the community, 1 pair in the breeding tank!

Tina

candyl70
01-14-2006, 02:27 AM
LMAO Greg!!! That is what all of mine do to!! It's only been an hour after their nightly water change.. and guess what I found.....

Kenny's Discus
01-14-2006, 02:29 AM
Greg & Candy - DITTO.

:-0

Kenny

candyl70
01-14-2006, 02:35 AM
lol.. Kenny.. was it you that taught them that naughty trick?

Kenny's Discus
01-14-2006, 02:43 AM
lol Candy I wish I could teach them that but I don't have the same intelligence as some of our Discus friends...yes they are smarter than me.

You see they can make me do WC's for them everyday and buy their favorite food & meds(with our hard-earned $) without any compensation to me whatsoever. Who do you think has higher intelligence in this case huh?

LOL we all are discus' slaves! LOL

Kenny

CAGE-RATTLER
01-14-2006, 03:01 AM
OK ......... you guys say the WC's dont bother the fish ........ then you say it scares the crap out of them .......... make up your minds :D

lauren0626
01-14-2006, 12:05 PM
Yes, we are all discus slaves!!!!!! :(