PDA

View Full Version : Valls

architect1
01-21-2006, 05:56 PM
I got some valls and it seams like they grow and when they get to the top of the tank I cut them with the water level. Is it ok to do that or do you let them keep growing. How do I maximize my runners I transplanted half my valls I only feed them liquid co2. One sent out a runner is it possible to get more then 1 runner. I put a root tab under it to maximize its growth any other ideas thoughts please help.

jeep8rus
01-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Trimming off the tops is fine. I don't know about getting more than one runner, but if you don't have enough macro elements (N, P, K) then the growth will be stunted even though you add organic carbon.

HTH,
-Russ

architect1
01-26-2006, 12:51 AM
Why can't they just grow in light and water it be so much more easy. i find as people say planted tanks it costs more and more its never winning cycle like now I need co2 and it costs to much for me I'm a student not a millionair.

wisesam
01-26-2006, 05:17 AM
I had my vals shooting runners after runners. I do pump CO2 with 3.5wpg lighting. At the end there were so many of them and I sick and tired of it blocking the light. so I took them out.

scans
01-26-2006, 10:48 AM
I had my vals shooting runners after runners. I do pump CO2 with 3.5wpg lighting. At the end there were so many of them and I sick and tired of it blocking the light. so I took them out.

Were you supplimenting with anything other than CO2?

architect1
01-26-2006, 10:58 AM
I dont have the gas co2 I was thking dico2 but I have a 112g tank and thats to big. I do put liquid in and some have fertalizer blocks under them. Like the grow but its a leaf ever week or every other week. right now my plants in the bi8g tank are turning yellow. But I have liquid co2 and fertalizer blocks. My 55 gallong is growing all the plants nicly like yeah runners dont come out but my swords grow leaf after leaf. All i put in is the blocks.

Dissident
01-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Valls will require moderate-high light to really do well.
Trimming them will cause them to slowly melt.
Trim runners when new plant becomes established and it will send out another runner in short time.
Pressurized CO2 will be cheeper in the long run. Dumping bottle after bottle of Excel into ~175 gals of water will be expensive. After 12months a pressurized system would have been less expensive. and that same system can be used on both tanks with a $20 part.

architect1
01-26-2006, 03:20 PM
What does it cost for a presureized co2 and how much is good for a 112g tank?
Is it hard to do? How do I get the molicules broken up?

Dissident
01-26-2006, 06:26 PM
CO2 is FUN!

The first step is finding some place locally that can fill the co2 tank. 5lb or 10lb either is fine.
(home brewing places, places that refill fire instinguishers, some liquor stores)
Once you find somewhere that can fill a co2 tank you need the tank. If they fill them they might sell them too.
5lb tank ~$40
10lb tank ~$70 (US)

The regulator you can get off of ebay for ~$80-$100 shipped

You can build an inline reactor for a canister filter for pennies. ($5)

wisesam
01-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Were you supplimenting with anything other than CO2?
Nope, just CO2 and strong light at that time. Of course all the poop my fish did as fertilizer. I do have florabase substrate.

architect1
01-26-2006, 06:44 PM
So i dont realy need to pay like 500 for the all pro I can do it my self. But just need the money for the bottle, lines, and the distiller? how much does it cost to fill the bottles? How long will it last?