PDA

View Full Version : QT length/medication for cardinals?

traco
01-24-2006, 12:21 PM
I just purchased 18 cardinal tetras (that's all they had:( ). They are in a 20 gallon. Two questions:

- should I treat with Prazi-Pro or some kind of wormer to clean them out of anything before going in the big tank?

- how long a QT before going in the 90 gallon with my discus?

traco
01-24-2006, 04:09 PM

Alight
01-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Cardinal tetras don't tend to get tapeworms like Discus do. They don't spend alot of time grazing on the bottom of the tank.

I'd skip the Prazi for them. Nematodes are another story. I don't know if they harbor them or not. I'd probably treat for them, just in case.

Other than that, the usual 4-6 week quarantine is what I'd do, to make sure they don't have Neon Disease (Cardinal tetras can carry the parasites and not die from them--you'll notice lumps and discolored areas in the muscles if they have them, though, at least after the 4 weeks) or other communicable diseases.

traco
01-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Thanks, Alight. It sounds like a 6 week QT would be better to be on the safe side. Nematodes are treated how/what medicine?

I will look for any lumps, etc... on the cardinals. If I do find this, will all the cardinals have it or get it? Treatment for it?

pcsb23
01-24-2006, 06:27 PM
Nematodes are treated with panacur or piperazine, can't remeber dosage at the mo' sorry.
hth,
Paul.