PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Eheim 2028 filter?

Riche_guy
01-24-2006, 01:05 PM
I just setup a 110 gallon tank and I'm using a 2028 Eheim filter. Can someone let me know the steps they used to clean this filter and how often.

Thanks.

Bainbridge Mike
01-24-2006, 03:32 PM
I use a 2028 on my 75. I also use a sponge prefilter on the intake and clean the prefilter every couple of days. As long as you use a prefilter, you probably only need to clean a 2028 every six weeks or so.

I don't use the carbon pad. Be sure to rinse out the fine filter pad in declorinated water at about tank-temperature so you don't kill the bacteria (and replace it every other cleaning). I then take the 3 trays of media out and rinse out the main filter compartment. dump the biomedia out of the trays (one tray at a time) into a large collander and rinse well with tank temperature dechlorinated water. Then put the trays back in, with the fine filter pad on top. Fill with tank-temperature dechorinated water and hook the filter back up to the hoses.

If you ever have the power go out (for more than an hour or so), disconnent your 2028 and drain all the water out to keep from suffocating all your bacteria.

Good luck,

Mike

Riche_guy
01-24-2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks that helps a lot. Where did you find a prefilter for this filter? Also when disconnecting the hoses from the filter canister, Will water come out of the hoses? I'm trying to remember how that is.

Bainbridge Mike
01-24-2006, 06:34 PM
http://www.aquacave.com/Filter%20Max%20Prefilters.htm

Here is a link for prefilters--get the biggest one. There are automatic shut-offs when you disconnect the hoses so no worries. Good luck!

Mike

Riche_guy
01-24-2006, 07:33 PM
http://www.aquacave.com/Filter%20Max%20Prefilters.htm

Here is a link for prefilters--get the biggest one. There are automatic shut-offs when you disconnect the hoses so no worries. Good luck!

Mike

So I guess I get the whole thing not just the foam then?

Bainbridge Mike
01-24-2006, 07:54 PM
So I guess I get the whole thing not just the foam then?

Right. You need the elbow and strainer that goes along with the sponge. Then if you wear out the sponge, you can just replace it.

Good luck!
MW

Riche_guy
01-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Not to be a nuisance, but how long does the sponge last? Just want to know how many foams to get as well.

Thanks.

taser
01-24-2006, 11:53 PM
Here is another link http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=EH2615270

Riche_guy
01-25-2006, 06:27 AM
Here is another link http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=EH2615270

Will this fit over the 2028 intake tube?

Bainbridge Mike
02-03-2006, 05:31 PM
The sponges last a year or so. I had to tinker around abit to fit the prefilter on the end of my eheim intake pipe. Just go for it--you can handle it.

Mike

Riche_guy
02-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Thanks Mike! :)

Riche_guy
03-04-2006, 07:04 AM
I emailed the Eheim directly and they sent me an English wordfile on maintenance. Here is what they said:

Your 2026/2028 needs to be cleaned every 3-6 months. You should change 1/3 - 2/3 of the EHFISUBSTRAT every 6-12 months. The EHFISYNTH (white) pad should be changed with every cleaning (every 3-6 months) and the EHFIFIX (blue) pad can be rinsed several times and should be changed when it becomes flattened or every year.

The recommended biological layer filtering arrangement is as follows:

From bottom to top:

EHFIMECH (2 x no. 250705)
Foam Pad (1 x no. 2616260)
EHFISUBSTRAT (3 x no. 250905)
EHFISYNTH (1 x no. 2616260)

EHFIMECH (2 x no. 250705)
Foam Pad (1 x no. 2616260)
EHFISUBSTRAT (6 x no. 250905 or 1 x 250975)
EHFISYNTH (1 x no. 2616260)

Following are descriptions of the filter media:

EHFIMECH - hollow ceramic "noodles". Some helpful bacteria will grow on it, but it is, in fact, a coarse mechanical filter media, used to trap large debris before it can block the subsequent layers. This debris then breaks down into smaller particles.

These “noodles” create eddies which disperse the water into many paths, allowing it to flow evenly throughout the filter.

EHFIFIX - mechanical purifying pre-filter. Placed below the biological or chemical filter layer, it protects the filter material from coarse contamination.

EHFISUBSTRAT - specially-designed sintered glass. Ideal media for biological filtration as it offers the largest surface area. Aquarium water can flow directly through it, bringing the bacteria, oxygen and nutrients along. Its matrix and pore system is specifically designed to offer the bacteria the optimum sites for colonization. It does not interfere with the chemical make-up of the aquarium water.

EHFISYNTH - filter pillow. Mechanically, it traps tiny dirt particles, which have passed through the EHFIMECH, allowing it to break down into even smaller particles. It is also used as a divider between the layers of EHFIMECH and EHFISUBSTRAT.

Regarding carbon use, as with all carbon, effectiveness is limited to a short period of time, a maximum of 3-4 weeks. They must then be removed from the filter because there is a risk that the absorbed substances will begin to decompose and be washed back into the aquarium water. We recommend that carbon be used for specific purposes only, such as, initial aquarium set-up, carbon should be used for two weeks to remove any undesirable substances from your tap water. Carbon can also be used to remove medications, additives, turbidity or water discoloration. Carbon can also be used when doing large water changes. Once the carbon has accomplished its task, it should be removed. I always say that carbon is like an aspirin - you only take it when you need it. If you do need to use carbon, it should go in the top basket under the EHFISYNTH pad in a mesh bag.

One of our EHEIM canister filter goals is to achieve a long service life. This refers to time between cleanings. With the biological set-up you should be able to go three to six months between cleanings. If you use carbon in the filter chamber, you will need to replace it at least every month, and this results in the service life of the filter decreasing and maintenance increasing.