PDA

View Full Version : HEATERS

novice breeder
01-24-2006, 05:17 PM
HI,
HAS ANYONE EVER USE A PENNPLAX -PC PLUS HEATER. 150 WATTS. I WILL LIKE A REVIEW PLEASE. ANY SUGGESTIONS??? THANKS!!!!

Cosmo
01-28-2006, 12:11 AM
I'd suggest you don't use that heater... sorry :( Get yourself a completely submersible heater such as a stealth or ebo jager... last time I used one that bolts to the top of the tank was over 25 years ago... don't know if it was Penn Plax or not... but it went bad and boiled a whole tank of Discus..

Plus, with it bolted to the rim of the tank, you're very limited in what you can do... with a submersible you can place it low in the tank, or even on the tank bottom and you won't have as many problems with WCs..

Just IMO.. but I would not use a heater like that for Discus

Jim

AmazonRainbows
01-28-2006, 01:38 AM
I also use a heater like this in my QT thank. End up my fish where heat over 100F because the water level goes to low or may be a mal function. Happily no Discus was in the thank but I lost a few Tetra. I buy a THEO submersible heater to replace.

Timbo
01-28-2006, 06:15 AM
looks like a 30 yr old design

billeagan
01-28-2006, 11:04 AM
IMO submerissible on the only way to go...

novice breeder
06-17-2006, 02:31 PM
i recently purchased a penn plax submersible heater 200 watts and i'm trying it out in a 3ftx12"x12" . the water is stagnant and i am trying to maintain a temp of 88far. i placed my hand inside the water and noticed a difference in temp about 1/3 from the bottom of tank it was much colder than the higher 2/3 of the tank. the heater is placed horizontal about 2/3 down in the tank and is stuck to the wall. IS THIS NORMAL????? should i place it on the floor of the tank??? should the water be circulating to maintain the temp??? what is the best temp for discus ranging from baby to adolescence and adults????? any suggestions???:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

lhforbes12
06-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Yes you need water circulation and that is why you are experiencing that stratification in your tank (heat rises). 84F is good for both adults and youngsters