PDA

View Full Version : Bichir with Discus?

Sandra
01-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Just wonderingwhat the concensus is on having a 7" bichir in with a discus. The discus is about3.5 " right now. Not looking to move the bichir in any time soon.

Sandra

CAGE-RATTLER
01-25-2006, 06:03 PM
I have a 7" bichir (Dinosaur eel) in my comunity tank and it hasnt been a problem with the 2 adult discus but it will eat smaller fish.

Ive lost 3 rummy nose, 8 neons and a few red serpae tetras to him.

I also believe he was the culprit that bit off my big angels pelvic fin (it did grow back very quickly thank goodness)

I also have a 8 inch black african knife in there and between the 2 i dont think my discus get enough rest at night due to all the nocturnal activity from them.

Personally i would remove them both if it wasnt for the wife!! She bought them. I do think she is ready to remove the eel tho since she woke up the other morning to a tetra stuck in his mouth!!

If you have cardinals in the tank or anything under 2 inches ............ they will eventually become bichir food.

Also i believe most other bichir eels are even more aggressive!

hexed
01-25-2006, 06:17 PM
I always keep my bichir in with my discus. Just be careful because they are escape artists and that's how I lost mine. I am always looking for another one ;)
You cannot put small fish (tetras) in with them but discus are fine. Bichir breathe air so they can tolerate the ph and temp. I never had any problems with the two in the tank together ;) I fed mine shrimp pellets, CBWs, beefheart and colorbits.
Frank